Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

high system process after driver install

eosma
Beginner

after installing the Intel iris 5100 driver version 10.18.10.3907 i am getting high system and system interrupts process, if i remove the driver both the system and system interrupts usage drops to 0%

0 Kudos
12 Replies
GZimm1
Novice

I'm having the exact same issue with my 13" Retina MacBook Pro running Windows 7 x64 in Boot Camp. I've performed a clean installation with the latest Intel Graphics 5100 drivers (V10.18.10.3960) and was able to isolate the source of the issue by verifying that CPU system interrupts and usage at 0% load prior to installing the graphics drivers. The only solution I've found so far is to place the system in sleep mode, wait a few seconds and then resume. CPU system interrupts drop immediately to 0% following the resume. I noted in another forum that someone was able to solve this issue by ensuring that some default Intel Graphics modules and processes were initialized on startup.

Current services running on my system are:

igFxTrax.exe

igfxHK.exe

igfxEM.exe

I was a bit surprised to find that the Intel Graphics drivers were causing this issue, since I'd run an analysis of the high system interrupts previously and it was reported that acpi.sys was the cause, which led me to believe it was a battery issue.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the Graphics community.

ediz What is the model number of your system?

ssn650, at this stage, the support for your product is offered through your computer manufacturer. I recommend checking the link below for troubleshooting assistance on your Apple computer: https://www.apple.com/support/macbook/ MacBook - Apple Support

Allan.

0 Kudos
eosma
Beginner

macbook pro retina running osx yosemite and Windows 8.1

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information.

ediz this type of issues are managed by your computer manufacturer. Please hit the link below for assistance:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbook/ MacBook - Apple Support

Allan.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

All, Apple has requested that all questions regarding Apple systems and software be addressed directly with Apple support.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
FKatz
Beginner

I'm having similar problem on a system that has nothing to do with Apple - Windows 8.1 PC ASUS motherboard Z97-A.

Immediately after upgrade to Intel Graphics Driver 10.18.10.3907 process igfxEM.exe periodically goes to high CPU mode: it completely consumes one of the cores on the 4-core CPU.

What's worse, multiple people use take turns using this computer and and an igfxEM.exe for each of the logged in users consumes 25% CPU. Logging the user out and logging back in fixes the problem for a few minutes but then it comes back.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

FK

0 Kudos
DWalt6
Beginner

There is another thread on this forum where Intel says they have reproduced this problem and will let us know of future updates. Just search for igfxEM and you should find the other thread. I have two machines, both Windows 8.1 that are showing the high CPU with igfxEM.exe, hopefully there is a fix soon!

0 Kudos
EBild1
Beginner

I can confirm that this is still an issue as of today, Jan 8 2015.

0 Kudos
GZimm1
Novice

This issue has been resolved for MacBook Air and Pro laptops with the latest Apple OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 Beta Release.

0 Kudos
EBild1
Beginner

Wait, the Intel driver for Yosemite was using 25% of CPU as well? That sounds like a completely separate issue...

0 Kudos
EBild1
Beginner

In the meantime, I have uninstalled the latest driver, 3960, and reverted back to 3907. So far, I have not experienced the high CPU usage bug.

The older driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24246&lang=eng&ProdId=3720 can be found here for 32-bit Windows 7/8/8.1, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24245&lang=eng&ProdId=3720 and here for 64-bit.

0 Kudos
EBild1
Beginner

Hmm. It appears that the original poster had this issue even with 3907. It could be an interplay of this driver and certain types of hardware and software. Here's some of my information, in case it proves helpful to Intel:

3960 causes the high cpu usage on my machine, running Windows 7 Pro x64, with all the latest updates.

Hardware:

• Intel Core i5-4570S
  • Asrock Fatal1ty H87 Performance motherboard
  • 4x4GB G.Skill 1.25V 9-9-9-24
  • Seagate 600 Pro SSD, 240GB
  • HighPoint RocketRaid 2320 w/2x ST4000DM000 (4TB)
  • 1x HGST 0S03664 (4TB)

Software that could be relevant:

• TeamViewer 10
  • Windows Media Center
  • ESET Nod32 Antivirus
  • Malwarebytes Antimalware 2.x

0 Kudos