Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

No networks detected by Centrino Wireless-N 2230 adapter

RCons1
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I got a Centrino PCI Express half-mini adapter and installed in into the built-in slot on my HP 3500 SFF desktop.

I installed drivers and version 17.1 of PROSet, the adapter is fully installed right now, but doesn't detect any WiFi networks, N class, G class or any other.

Does this adapter require an external antenna to detect any networks at all?

Does anybody else have this issue with this adapter?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RCons1
Beginner

Here's the answer to my question, from Intel Live Chat support.

The adapter in the packaging I received is meant for substitution in laptop systems only.

In desktops, an external antenna is required. The wire will connect to the existing SMA ports on the card on one end, and at the other end will plug into a connection plate with the antenna on the outside.

There are so-called "retail packs" of this adapter that are delivered with an antenna, cable and everything else.

It's just not what I happened to purchase online.

I advised the online retailer of the inaccurate description and suggested to change it to clearly indicate that the particular form of packaging only contains the chip for installation in laptops.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RCons1
Beginner

Here's the answer to my question, from Intel Live Chat support.

The adapter in the packaging I received is meant for substitution in laptop systems only.

In desktops, an external antenna is required. The wire will connect to the existing SMA ports on the card on one end, and at the other end will plug into a connection plate with the antenna on the outside.

There are so-called "retail packs" of this adapter that are delivered with an antenna, cable and everything else.

It's just not what I happened to purchase online.

I advised the online retailer of the inaccurate description and suggested to change it to clearly indicate that the particular form of packaging only contains the chip for installation in laptops.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you for sharing this information.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
JMora14
Beginner

Hello RAdministrator,

Regarding the previous post about "Retail Packs" let me share with you the following link, where you can find the three Intel® Wireless-desktop adapters we have available. https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/wireless-product-selection-guide.html Intel® Wireless Products

I hope you find this information useful.

Regards,

Miguel_Intel