Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel HD4600 multiple ghost monitors

RRigh
Beginner

Hi, it's quite a while now that my system shows multiple monitors that do not exist (Driver 20.19.15.4531)

I've tryed different things with no success and have been waiting for an update hoping for a fix but it's driving me crazy.

Here is my beautiful 5-monitors setup:

I attacched the SSU, I hope there's a workaround till next update.

Similar issues:

http://superuser.com/questions/1142103/how-to-get-rid-of-random-ghost-monitors-and-weird-behavior-with-graphics-adapt windows 10 - How to get rid of random "ghost" monitors and weird behavior with graphics adapter - Super User

Thanks,

Riccardo

0 Kudos
23 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Rickwally,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Please try installing the latest graphics driver version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26229/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496 15.40.28.4501.

I suggest to completely uninstalled this older version that you have, Disconnect the internet before installing the driver, please see http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver

Once you uninstall the driver; install the latest version 4501 manually, still with the internet disconnect, this is to avoid Microsoft to push any driver update.

Please see how to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows 8*/8.1*

Make sure your BIOS is up to date, you will need to contact your system manufacturer for support on how to update the BIOS or to access their website for support.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
RRigh
Beginner

Unfortunately it didn't work:

What I did:

• Disconnected the internet
  • Unistalled Intel Graphic driver from Control Panel, It got immediately replaced with the newer one.
  • Rebooted
  • Manually unistalled it from device manager checking the option to delete the installer
  • Rebooted
  • Now I had the generic microsoft driver reporting just 1 monitor
  • Manually installed driver version 20.19.15.4501
  • Rebooted
  • Got back to my beautiful 5 monitor setup

It must be stored in the registry, is there a way to clean the monitor setup from it?

I have the latest available version of the bios installed.

Thanks,

Riccardo

0 Kudos
RRigh
Beginner

Right after I posted this message my screen blinked and now I'm back to driver version 20.19.15.4531.

I love automatic updates.

EDIT:

I managed to stop windows auto-installing drivers.

Rebooted in command-prompt safe-mode and deleted the DISPLAY key from registry to let windows recreate it, this is the result at reboot:

Whatever I do it keeps recreating those 4 Default_Monitor entries...

EDIT2:

I installed version 20.19.15.4463 and solved the problem, I hope windows doesn't replace it in the coming days.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We just posted a new 15.40 test driver that should fix this issue.

Details can be found here:

Please give this one a shot and let us know your feedback.

By the way, we apologize for the delay in getting this one out.

Kindest Regards,

0 Kudos
PF1
Beginner

Intel Driver: Intel 4600 20.19.15.4624

Inter Driver Update Utility: v2.7.2.4

After updating to 4624 using the update utility I can no longer extend my desktop.

The display settings show two extra monitors that don't exist and when running "Detect" it just adds another monitor that also doesn't exist.

The Intel graphics software doesn't run anymore either.

I've had to roll back using the Inter Driver Update Utility. It rolled me back to 10.18.15.4256 which makes it work again.

0 Kudos
RRigh
Beginner

@Ronald_Intel

Thank's for the feedback, I installed the new driver but didn't work:

@

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Rickwally,

Did you try installing the driver http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html manually? Before doing so, uninstall the driver you have installed now and reinstall it manually, please see http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel® Display HDMI/Audio Driver

Please let me know.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
PF1
Beginner

I just did a full uninstall and deleted all drivers related to 4600.

I disconnected my hdmi monitor and rebooted.

I then manually installed win64_154034.4624.exe and rebooted when prompted.

I then saw the screen shot below.

I plugged in my hdmi and heard the new device sound but can only see the main desktop.

I can't extend my screen across my laptop and hdmi tv.

The intel "Graphics properties..." or "Graphics Options" did not appear in the menu from the desktop

So I had to uninstall 4624 and let windows auto install the driver at 20.19.15.4416

It all works again and I can now extend my desktop across the laptop and hdmi tv.

0 Kudos
RRigh
Beginner

Yes, I tried to install it manually but it doesn't work.

Still on 4463, fighting windows to let it be.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information, this driver that it was released is suppose to fix the multiple ghost monitor.

Let's try one more thing if it is possible for you, uninstall the driver you have installed and do not restart the system, then install the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=81496 latest driver manually but disconnect the internet, this is to avoid Microsoft to send an update.

Please let me know how it goes this time.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
LCarr5
Beginner

Hello, today windows finally updated to Creators Update and it installed the latest driver. It started causing this issue again. I had this problem last year and I fixed it by installing an older driver, but now windows updated it to the very latest version and the problem reappeared.

Old driver (That works fine): 15.4463

Driver that first caused the problem last year: 15.4501

New driver that windows just updated and causes the problem again: 15.4624

Here's a screenshot of the display configuration screen, the device manager, and the driver version:

I have 3 video cards (the intel that comes with the CPU, the NVidia one, and the IOGEAR is part of a docking station). I have the internal monitor of the laptop (4K) and an external one connected to the docking station (1366x768). This happens regardless of the docking station and regardless of the external monitor being plugged in. And it all gets fixed by installing the old driver (15.4463).

I read int his post: that it was linked to Hyper-V (which I use and is enabled in my system) and that it was fixed, but even the latest driver doesn't work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LucasCarranza,

It is possible that after the Windows® update the driver got corrupted, since you have two graphics driver the Intel and the Nvidia driver, did you try uninstalling both drivers and then install the Intel driver first manually and then the Nvidia driver.

This latest driver version 4624 fixes the issue, perhaps trying what I mentioned above can solve the problem.

Please let me know.

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
LCarr5
Beginner

OK, I'll try that and post what happens

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you!

Ivan U.
0 Kudos
LCarr5
Beginner

OK, so I uninstalled all 3 display drivers and installed them in the following order: Intel - NVidia - IOGear.

The problem started happening as soon as the Intel driver was installed (before I installed NVidia and IOGear drivers and before I connected an external monitor).

I took the oportunity to update the NVidia and IOGear drivers to the latest versions, but once all was installed, the problem did not go away.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like:

I'm going back to the 15.40.25.4463 driver of 2016-06-17 that works fine.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information, please allow me to further investigate for you.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
RRigh
Beginner

One year has passed now and the problem is still here.

I had solved it by blocking updates to the graphic driver and staying with the last working version.

Unfortunately for the last 2 months I have been fighting with another problem: my pc/mouse/audio/everything freezes continuously when some network activity occurs.

It was driving me crazy and slowing me down on my job... until I decided to update my Intel graphics driver to the latest version.

Now I have multiple non-existent monitors but at least I can work on my pc without continuous stutters. I had to choose for the lesser evil.

Is there any hope to have a driver release that finally fixes this problem?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Rickwally,

I am sorry to hear you are still having issues with your computer.

In order to assist you better I would like to get the Intel Graphics Driver Report. Would you please generate the report and attach it to this thread? This link will show you how to generate it https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Rickwally,

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
PBrad3
Beginner

I am having the same issue... updated drivers would be helpful since I see I am not the only one struggling with this for a year now... or just say you don't support Windows 10... this is ridiculous...

0 Kudos