Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

i5-6600K worked fine, but Windows suddenly froze once and since then any OS won't boot with all cores enabled (max 2, sometimes 3)

idata
Employee

Pretty much explained by title – my setup was working flawlessly for a week and today few minutes after boot Windows suddenly froze for no obvious reason and after hard reset no system boots with more then 3 cores enabled, and even with 3 sometimes doesn't boot. CPU temperatures are never higher than 30-40°C. I checked everything inside case, everything seems correctly installed. Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool passes with no errors (also with 3 cores enabled). I tried memory in different slot, didn't help. Nothing is and never was overclocked (as far as I know, I use default UEFI settings), voltages are on standard levels. I have latest UEFI.

I'm using following components:

• Intel i5-6600K
  • ASRock Z170 EXTREME4
  • HyperX DDR4 8GB 2133MHz Cl14 Fury Black [HX421C14FB/8] (single stick)
  • Zalman ZM600-GSII 600W
  • CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 EVO

I use integrated HD 530 GPU.

If it is of any help, I have dualboot with Windows 10 and Opensuse Tumbleweed. POST is fine, GRUB works fine, with all cores enabled Windows hangs at blue logo (with no circling dots) and GNU/Linux after which looks like NMI watchdog initialisation, the last line trace looks like "[0.559] # 0 # 1 # 2[".

EDIT: Attaching IPDT for UEFI test results, since I cannot boot into any system with all 4 cores enabled.

EDIT2: The only thing out of order seems to be this, it's same with 3 and 4 cores enabled:

--- Reading CPU Frequency ---

Expected CPU Frequency is --> 3.50GHz

Detecting CPU Frequency ...

Detected CPU Frequency --> 4.6665

CPU Frequency Test Passed with Warning!!!

The processor frequency could be affected by power management features. In

order to ensure the processor frequency is not affected by a power management

setting, enter BIOS, load defaults, and disable any 'Over-Clocking' or power

management features that may affect processor frequency. Also, set any

software applications which control power management features to default.

When I run test on Windows with 3 cores enabled, detected CPU frequency is 3.4996 GHz and clock frequency is 99.9912 MHz.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello wildfireheart,

In regard to your concern, I would like to recommend you a BIOS update.

You can confirm with ASRock the latest BIOS version available for your device and if you do not have it up to date, you can proceed with the upgrade.

For BIOS versions available you can visit:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4/?cat=Download Drivers and BIOS updates for Z170 Extreme 4

If you need further assistance in order to confirm the latest BIOS version, or if you need help on how to complete the BIOS upgrade for your ASRock Z170 EXTREME4, you can contact their technical support at:

http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp ASRock Technical Support

http://www.asrock.com/support/forum.asp ASRock Support Forums

If the issue persists after the BIOS update, I suggest you try with the Default Boot instead of the UEFI, this is due that sometimes you can face some issues with the UEFI boot option.

Please let me know how it goes in order to further assist you if required.

Best regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for response.

I have indeed the latest BIOS / UEFI version (P7.0). I tried all boot options, didn't help. I can boot to GRUB where I can select the OS and as GRUB is on hard drive, I don't think the booting selection is the problem. I'm assuming either something broke in CPU in core # 4 or there is some other problem why CPU halts when NMI watchdog on core # 4 is to be initialised (or at least Linux indicates this).

People on ASRock forum are also helping me to diagnose this problem: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4202&PN=1&title=suddenly-not-booting-with-all-cores-enabled Suddenly not booting with all cores enabled - ASRock Forums - Page 1

I made some photos of CPU to check if the substrate is not bent and measured VRM temperatures (in Celsius) and everything seems fine to me:

https://drive.google.com/open%3Fid=0BynchtWoOt7acVBMMTdXNnh0SzA Gallery 01 - Google Drive

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wildfireheart,

Thank you for all the information provided.

I am glad to know that you were able to get in touch with ASRock.

My recommendation at this point is to continue in contact with them, in case if there is any performance issue with the equipment, or if there is any technical issue that needs to be review by them.

Best regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We haven't figured out anything yet. At this point, I think that either something has broken down in 4-th core or in interface / power supply for core 4. Which do you think is more probable? Is there any way to find out (other than trying different components, as I don't know anyone with LGA1151 motherboard). CPU revision is 506E3 74, do you have any reports of similar problems with this batch?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wildfireheart,

In regard to your concern, please run the following test in order to have additional details:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Once that you reply we will continue with the investigation of your concern.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I'm attaching SSU report file. Meanwhile, I was collecting bits and strips from the internet and it seems that all of the people, who had similar problems, have found that CPU was faulty. Unfortunately I don't have other motherboard to try it on. I was inspecting most of the components on the motherboard, which could have anything to do with this (visually and temperature) and everything seems fine, so unless there is some component that works with three cores, but can't handle the load (voltage or current) of four cores, I bet the CPU is the problem.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi wildfireheart ,

If you bought mainboard and CPU from same shop then send them in warranty, if they are from different shops then you need to test CPU somewhere, to be sure is not mainboard fault, which is highly improbable.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ronin, thanks for your collaboration.

To: wildfireheart

Hello wildfireheart,

What Ronin has confirmed, is correct.

Have you tried to test your processor on a different board?

Have you tried to test your board with a different processor?

Please let me know if you have done it, if you have not tested them yet, please try and let me know the results too.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wildfireheart,

I would like to know if you were able to test your processor on a different board?

Also, have you been able to test a different processor on your board?

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi wildfireheart,

I was wondering if you were able to resolve the issue, if not, can you please provide the following information?
  1. What was the CPU frequency while the system worked without issues?
    1. This because the IPDT detected CPU frequency at 4.65.
  2. What was the frequency of the RAM / last known (as seen in the BIOS)?
  3. Did you use to run the system with any XMP profile? If yes, please let me know the frequency of the RAM for the profile you were using:
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi wildfireheart,

I was reviewing this thread and I was wondering if you were able to resolve the issue.

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

All the questions you ask I already answered:

1. CPU frequency, when CPU was working without issues was 3.5 GHz and CPU was never overclocked (as far as UEFI / BIOS settings go). All tools including IPDT for Windows show 3.5 GHz, the only tool that measured 4.65 GHz was IPDT for UEFI version. I tried underclock the CPU after issues started (so it run on lower frequency), but it didn't help.

2. RAM is and was running on 2133 MHz and is not overclocked.

3. I only tried XMP profile several days after the issues started, it didn't help either so I turned it off again.

I haven't been able to test different CPU / motherboard because nobody near me has compatible components, stores around don't provide this service and I can't buy different motherboard / CPU with 4 cores just for testing this.

Anyway, after all things I've tested and checked I'm now 95% sure that the issue is indeed the CPU, so I'd probably want to apply for RMA and I'd be grateful for instructions, as I see no other easy way to test what is wrong.

Best regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wildfireheart,

I just sent a private message to you.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wildfireheart,

Do you need further assistance?

For a warranty request, you can contact us via phone or chat or please see the private message I sent you.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I've sent you a private message today.

Best regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wildfireheart,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
Juan_V_Intel
Employee

Hello wildfireheart,

I was checking this thread and I was wondering if you received my last private message.

Please let me know if you were able to start the warranty process.

Regards,

Juan Carlos

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi wildfireheart ,

From the ipdt result I noticed something not right.

1. Expected CPU Frequency is --> 3.50GHz
  2. Detecting CPU Frequency ...
  3. Detected CPU Frequency --> 4.6665

That means that the CPU frequency is not correct. If the CPU is not overclocked then it may be a problem with the CPU.

Unfortunately the only way to verify this is on another mainboard or with a new CPU on yours.

0 Kudos