Items with no label
3335 Discussions

intel realsense r200 android sdk

HPRAD1
Beginner

Hi,

I have a Intel Real Sense R200 Camera,What is process to create a android app using Intel Real Sense?

Should i go ahead with java and creating a android app?

Can i go ahead with using c,c++ sdk and creating a NDK application.But in this i guess i need c,c++ SDK for Arm Architecture[Mobile device]?

Is there any android SDK so that i can directly go ahead?

Regards,

Himanshu

1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There was briefly an Android-based development system called the Smartphone Development Kit, but it got cancelled last summer as Intel moved its RealSense focus away from mobile and towards the 'desktop' SR-300 cam and robotics control. Intel also decided to stop its line of Atom mobile processors and focus the SDK on the SR-300 cam from SDK R3 onwards (R200 users have to use the older version R2 SDK now).

So sadly, your options for making a RealSense Android app may be practically non-existent, especially without an Android phone with a RealSense camera to run such an application on.

Edit: I should add that R200 support is likely to continue in the open-source Librealsense SDK. That does not have a direct Android development option either though as far as I know.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There was briefly an Android-based development system called the Smartphone Development Kit, but it got cancelled last summer as Intel moved its RealSense focus away from mobile and towards the 'desktop' SR-300 cam and robotics control. Intel also decided to stop its line of Atom mobile processors and focus the SDK on the SR-300 cam from SDK R3 onwards (R200 users have to use the older version R2 SDK now).

So sadly, your options for making a RealSense Android app may be practically non-existent, especially without an Android phone with a RealSense camera to run such an application on.

Edit: I should add that R200 support is likely to continue in the open-source Librealsense SDK. That does not have a direct Android development option either though as far as I know.

MJaur
Beginner

Hi Marti, I have an android developer toolkit, do you know if there is any way to root it or it is useless right now?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Do you mean the RealSense Smartphone Developer Kit? I always wondered if some preview versions of that made it out into the wild before it got canceled before it went on public sale.

The Smartphone Developer Kit used a ZR300 camera (the one that has just been released as a standalone USB developer kit for PC). It's difficult to say how one would root the kit, since there isn't documentation for the kit as far as I know. I believe that it was going to run on Android OS and have its own separate RealSense SDK for Android. So I imagine that one would root it in the same way that they would an ordinary Android smartphone, as it essentially seemed to be a standard Android smartphone, but with a ZR300 camera in it instead of an ordinary phone camera.

Edit: the Smartphone Developer Kit was meant to be compatible with Google Project Tango, so you may get more insights on the kit's workings by checking out the Tango documentation.

https://developers.google.com/tango/developer-overview Tango Developer Overview | Tango | Google Developers

0 Kudos
MJaur
Beginner

Yes, I have the Smartphone, it's a pretty decent device... I'll try to root it with the usual ways and see if I can update some things to make it compatible with the last tango core.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III
0 Kudos