Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

RS3WC080 Windows 10 Startup Issue

RTalb
Beginner

Complement:

MB: ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1

BIOS: ASUS UEFI

CPU: Intel i7-5820K

RAM: G.Skill F4-3000C15-4GRBB 32GB DDR4

Drive: Hitachi HUS156060VLS60 (B) 600GB SAS

Problem:

On power-up the controller and drive are recognized by BIOS and controller BIOS runs with no apparent problem. However, as Windows begins to load, the controller fails and the associated drive is not listed as available in Windows. Error returned is code 10.

By chance I discovered that when the machine goes into "sleep" mode or is induced manually and then reawakened, disabling and re-enabling the controller in Windows Device Manager restarts the controller and the drive is discovered by Windows and then is addressable as expected. Disabling and re-enabling the controller in Device Manager from initial boot will not restart the controller.

This workaround is a major inconvenience. The HDD connected to the controller is used to back-up a pair of Adata SATA SSDs running RAID0 from the MB controller. If the OS was expected to run from the RS3WC080 and attached drive the system would be totally inoperable.

Any assistance in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Roy Talbert

Issue Resolved:

The below proved not only to be an inconvenient workaround but also to be unreliable and frequently resulted in BSOD:

"By chance I discovered that when the machine goes into "sleep" mode or is induced manually and then reawakened, disabling and re-enabling the controller in Windows Device Manager restarts the controller and the drive is discovered by Windows and then is addressable as expected."

Applying latest motherboard BIOS update and controller driver were ineffective.

However, applying latest firmware version from Avago/LSI issued for the 9341-8i seems to have solved the problem.

After much searching, I came across this post: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/480907 https://communities.vmware.com/thread/480907

The suggestion posted by gnagus works but with the limitations he notes.

The much later post by Evanthony put me on the right track.

I can confirm that the following down loaded from the Avago/LSI site seems to be working well with my machine:

Firmware: 24.15.0-0016 Latest 3/23/2016

Driver: 6.711.06.00 Latest 3/22/2016

Flashing the firmware from the UEFI shell is not at all intuitive. Luckily, I came across some screen shots online that helped with solving that mystery.

Hope this is of help to anyone experiencing like difficulties.

Regards,

Roy Talbert

Note to Dan: I do not recall encountering this caveat while shopping for my controller: "Intel RAID controllers are meant to work on Intel server systems only."

Message Updated by: Roy Talbert

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Roy,

We would like to inform you that the assistance we can provide for this issue is limited since we cannot confirm compatibility with the ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 board you have. Intel RAID controllers are meant to work on Intel server systems only. Thank you for your understanding.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello Roy,

We would like to inform you that the assistance we can provide for this issue is limited since we cannot confirm compatibility with the ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 board you have. Intel RAID controllers are meant to work on Intel server systems only. Thank you for your understanding.

0 Kudos