Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 520 crashes frequently

MStic1
Beginner

Hello,

I have a HP Elitebook and my Intel HD Graphics 520 crashes frequently. Its shows an error : "display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

I got this Problem with Windows 7 and Windows 10 (I tried both). I installed the lates bios Version and all offered Drivers from HP. After that, I uninstalled the hp Drivers and installed the Intel Drivers through the Intel update Utility (.40 and .45). Same Problem.

Can you please assist me with this issue?

Thanks in advance

Martin

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Tobintax,

A graphics driver was released in April 2016 (version 15.40.22.4424) and contained the fix to this issue, all graphics drivers since then contain this fix.

I recommend you to install the graphics driver version 4590 following the next steps:

1. Disconnect the computer from the Internet.
  2. Uninstall the graphics driver from programs and features.
  3. Restart the computer.
  4. Install the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26563/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=88355 Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45] Version: 15.45.14.4590 (Latest)
  5. Restart the computer.
  6. Connect the computer to the Internet (if required).

*Disconnecting the computer from the Internet during the process prevents Windows Updates from looking for the graphics driver once you uninstall it.

For information purposes; the last 4 digits of the driver belong to the driver version (build number), you can check the following link for additional information:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005654.html Understanding the Intel® Graphics Driver Version Number

If you went through this process before and you keep on having the same issue I would recommend contacting the system manufacturer (HP) as it could be also related to a hardware issue.

Please refer to the following link for additional information regarding this issue:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000022448.html Error Message: Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Hope this information helps.

Please don't hesitate in replying to this post if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tobintax,

I was reviewing this thread and I was wondering if you were able to resolve the issue.

Please don't hesitate in replying back to this post in case you need further assistance.

Regards,

Juan Carlos

0 Kudos
MStic1
Beginner

Hi Juan,

as told in my first post I already tried all available Drivers from HP and from Intel. The Intel Post Suggests to use the Build 4590, which I've already tried without success.

The Next suggestion from the intel post was to contact HP. As I know HP, they won't fix it or say "it's a intel problem".

I noticed that the driver crashes when I'm playing tom clancy's division.

Regards

Martin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tobintax,

In this case, the best option for you is to contact the system manufacturer because it could be also related to a hardware issue.

That is the process to follow for OEM products.

"I already installed the latest driver from the Download Center, but the issue still occurs.

Contact your computer manufacturer and install their latest driver. Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) may have customized the generic Intel® Drivers to match their specifications or requirements.

All OEMs should have access to newer Intel® graphics driver versions that contain this fix."

As you mentioned that you tested both Intel & HP drivers, then HP as the system manufacturer will be able to give further assistance on their product.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tobintax,

I was reviewing this thread and I was wondering if you were able to contact the OEM?

Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
MStic1
Beginner

Hi Juan,

as I know HP, they won't fix it or say "it's a intel problem". My last simple HP Cases regarding other issues were not solved, instead they pointing to others or they are close the cases suddenly.

My lifetime is to worthfully to fight again against windmills. So you can close this thread.

Thanks

Regards

Martin

0 Kudos
lcedi
Beginner

Hi Juan Carlos,

I must apologize because I am new to the community and don't even know how to open a new thread, but the doubt might be of the same origin.

My computer continuously crashes after I start it and reboots until it uses the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (which is the default driver for the Display Adapters in the Device Manager) and I can no longer use the command keys to control brightness or connect my laptop to other devices using my HDMI port, the problems usually come when True Color starts to run.

I can solve the problem temporarily by going to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Device Manager>Update Driver and search for the driver that was available on 01-Oct-15 for Intel HD Graphics Family Version: 20.19.15.4300. But after a few days the issue reappears. It started when I automatically updated to Windows 10 and shortly after automatically updated my driver on 18-Nov-15 Version: 20.19.15.4331. How can I fix this? Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU@2.00 GHz 2.60 GHz, RAM 8 GB and a 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor / Graphics: Interl(R) HD Graphics 4400

Thanks,

Luis.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lcd4,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

In this case, you can try installing the following test driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26623 Intel® Graphics Test Driver Version: Test 15.40.4624 (Latest) Date: 3/8/2017

Please be sure to read the https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26623/eng/ReleaseNotes_15.40.4624%20(test%20driver).pdf Release Notes before you install the driver, they will inform about potential error message and some fixes addressed in this release, even if there isn't any specific item that points to the issue you are experiencing, it is good to test any compatible graphics driver available.

In case this driver doesn't solve the issue you are experiencing, I strongly recommend to contact the system manufacturer.

To open a new thread you can go to the /community/tech Support Community and select the product you are looking for (graphics in this case), from there, you can check if there is any similar thread by typing in the search bar, to open a new thread, just click on "Ask it" button.

Hope this information helps.

Best Regards,

JC

0 Kudos