Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Xeon E5-2683v3 repairable?

idata
Employee

I'm just a student doing research, and in need of more computing power while on a budget. So I got myself a second-hand Xeon E5-2683v3, everything checked out, the FPO/ATPO numbers I was given gave the right CPU and said it had warranty to 2019. Turns out it doesn't work - and I probably got scammed, I have no recourse other than to fix it.

I can boot into the BIOS/UEFI just fine, it shows up and displays all the correct information about the CPU - but as soon as I try to load the OS the PC just restarts itself. If I try to run any of the boot diagnostics the PC just freezes, if I try to boot from a USB drive to reinstall the OS the process freezes at the beginning (prior to the first menu options).

The CPU had some bad physical damage to it, including on the contact points / pads:

Could the damage observed cause the CPU not to work?

1. Could those traces be torn/open? Anyone know what are are for? Decoupling?

2. Could the pins in my socket not make proper contact with either or those two pads?

Could it be repaired by any means? Any advice?

Probably not the best place to post this, but I'm a bit desperate.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention.

I understand you have a damaged processor and you would like to know if can be repaired.

Please see my answers below:

1- I strongly believe that the damage observed will cause the processor not to work.

2- It is definitely a damage caused by improper integration, not decoupling.

3- The processor is scratched and looks like is cracked, the pins of the board will not make proper contact.

4- Intel does not repair this type of damage.

Additionally, I regret to inform you that second-hand processors are not covered under warranty, the warranty remains with the original owner.

Allan.
0 Kudos