cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD6 512gb not recognized in Acer laptop

JCol
New Contributor

I can't get my laptop to recognise this drive in the bios. What am I missing. I'd appreciate some help, if possible, please. I'm assuming it's compatible with my Acer Aspire S13? Acer support weren't much help.

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Beejay2404,

We understand your new SSD 600p series is not being detected by your computer and you have one of the Acer* laptop Aspire S13.It is important to mention that these SSDs 6 series are NVMe* drives, therefore, they require a computer with NVMe* support and PCIe Gen3 x4 to work.Checking the https://www.acer.com/ac/en/MY/content/model/NX.GCKSM.001 specs of your system, we do realize your laptop only supports SATA* storage, a reason why the SSD is not detected.Hope this clarifies the situation.Regards,Nestor C

JCol
New Contributor

Thanks so much for your reply. However, I'm not sure I understand why it's not compatible. My laptop currently has a Kingston 128GB SSD drive in it, and I was under the impression that I could simply slip that one out and pop the new one in and set it all up? I'm not sure I understand the difference between the current drive and the Intel drive as they are both the same physical size with the same connections and they both fit in the same slot on my motherboard. How do I tell which drive to purchase to increase my storage capacity?

Hoping you could clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance once again

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Beejay2404,

The SSD you bought from us uses a different interface than the one the computer handles, in this case, your system's M.2 slot supports only SSD M.2 SATA (Interface).We understand that the NVMe* SSD and SATA SSD in M.2 form will fit properly and they look exactly the same, the difference is the interface to send the information. Your system is capable of reading only SATA interfaces and not NVMe* PCIe.In other words, even though the SSD 600p fits properly in the slot, the computer cannot understand what kind of device is plugged in, therefore, it won't detect it.The computers nowadays, come with M.2 slots in combo (SATA & PCIe), these systems can accept any of the SSDs (SATA or NVMe*).Here are http://ark.intel.com/products/94924/Intel-SSD-600p-Series-512GB-M_2-80mm-PCIe-3_0-x4-3D1-TLC some specs of our SSD, if you scroll down to the "Package Specifications" you will see the form factor (Which is the same for SATA SSDs) and the Interface (Which is PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4).Please let us know if you need us to give you any more information about this thread.Regards,Nestor C

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Beejay2404,

We are following up this thread and we would like to know if you have any other question or further assistance. We'll be waiting for your response.Regards,Nestor C