Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel 7260 poor linux performance.

SYe8
Beginner

I have the GIGABYTE Z97N-WIFI, which uses the 7260 chipset in a dual WIFI+BT board. I have found that the wifi speeds are drastically worse on a dual boot Ubuntu 14.10 and Windows 8.1 machine where I can get 10+ Mbps down/up on Windows versus about 1 Mbps down/up on Ubuntu. This is after updating the microcode via this site http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi iwlwifi - Linux Wireless into /lib/firmware, where before it would simply have frequent disconnects. Since it's the same hardware on two OSes, that leads me to believe that the linux driver is worse. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello yesimon,

We do understand your frustration but, in this particular case we wonder if you could contact mailto:linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org or even mailto:iwl@linux.intel.com iwl@linux.intel.com for further assistance as they developed the drivers.

0 Kudos
JVALL7
Beginner

Hello,

I have the same problem as yesimon,

I tried to contact both email addresses but they are unavailable, have you new ones ?

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello jdu26,

Please try this link: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034398.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Linux* Support for Intel® Wi-Fi Adapters

0 Kudos
SYe8
Beginner

Update: Turned out to be a combination of problems. First is my antenna connection was not completely screwed in. Second there was bluetooth speaker interference that improved speeds when it was turned off. Third, the frequent disconnects are probably due to the router, a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N with DD-WRT which is known to have disconnect/firmware issues. (Google ath9k dropout). However not completely ruling out possible desktop driver <-> router interaction issues because disconnects are not observed on OS X laptops, Android or iPhones, but I do see it on Ubuntu desktop and an Xbox One.

0 Kudos