Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

intel RST RAID 1- backup

RCere
Beginner

Hi everyone, I need to backup a PC with 2TB HDD in RAID1 mode that uses intel RST for critical business data storage.

Until today I have been performing the backups useing Clonezilla to clone to image a hole HDD raid disk to an USB 2TB 3.0 External hdd approximately once in a month (gigalan backups takes hours).Then I move the external hdd to an offsite facility and store 2 copys: newest on external hdd (ready to deploy in case of need in a safe-box) and new and previous in internal hdd of a local pc with encrypted HDD..

Primary concerns with the system are, to be protect against:

Theft of system

Virus (ransomware)

Vandalism

Natural Disasters (fire, etc)

Since the data stored on the HDD RAID1 is growing fast, I will probably need to move to 2x4TB HDD pretty soon, and 2x6TB by next year. The problem I have is that performing the clonezilla image takes approximately 8 hours on my current scenario (2TB hdd).

I'm concern that as fast as data is growing I will have a backup time that will exceed the no using hours of the system and thus making impossible to perform the backup (currently I'm making backups during Saturday afternoon and Sunday when the pc is not in use).

Another problem I have is that I can't connect and internal HDD to perform a much faster SATA to SATA copy due to a software that is running on the system and detects any hardware changes and blocks itself (HDD replacement, VGA changes, etc --- end in the need to call software company and ask for new key to continue using it, leading to downtimes and money lost. ..)...so if I use an internal hdd I need to make sure pc does not boot to OS neither change any parameters of the RST controller that can be detected under Windows 7 64bits professional (I know it is old but software does not support newer OS or runs unstable)

So basically im looking to a fast way to perform a full disk image/backup without installing any new hardware, Im thinking on 2 different options to perform backup:

a) Buying a hot swap SATA bay for the backup disk and turn on system, boot clonezilla and THEN ADDING an internal hdd on the hot swap bay to perform backup; after finishing power off and remove hdd (¿don't know if adding an extra hdd to raid controller without booting system OS will make any changes that can be detected by the OS or the software license?)

b) buying a fiber optic network card and make backup to another pc connected with fiber. ($$$, and ¿time to backup?)

c) using another external medium to backup with faster transfer rate (¿ideas?)

Some thoughts:

Time to backup is limited by the time to read + time to write so I don't know if having a fiber medium will increase speed- I know at least is not better than internal hdd but will probably allow me to make daily snaps of current system or differential backups which would increase backing up speed.

I decide to ask because there may be another backup method I do not know. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Ramiro85. Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel Communities Team. I will do my best to assist you further.

In this case, we do not recommend methods to perform backups or software to achieve that. The only way to increase the storage on the RAID will be using https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005837/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html this guide.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
JFaul
Beginner

Hello,

Look into the "On Demand" mirroring functionality of the RST software. It will copy only the differences between the master and recovery drive. It then turns off real-time mirroring during normal operation. Installing a HDD hot swap bay would make this very easy to make several copies and incorporating a rotation schedule. I have only now discovered this feature and have changed my mind about RAID1 as a solution for disaster recovery.

--John

0 Kudos