Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

intel centrino wireless-n 2230 bluetooth installation

WScha1
Beginner

Hello,

I have an Itronix XR-1 laptop that I installed an Intel Centrino wireless-n 2230 mini pci-e adapter.

The Laptop is running Windows XP Pro and mainly used for GPS vehicle navigation. (Rarely goes online)

I have a Bluetooth wireless GPS adapter with ext. antenna, that I've used in the past with a USB Bluetooth Dongle.

I'm trying to switch over to using the Intel Centrino 2230 (bluetooth) as it's my understanding the 2230 is a combo card with both wifi and bluetooth.

The product brief shows the 2230 has Bluetooth capabilities, however I'm not able to find any detail how Bluetooth is accomplished using a 2230?

https://www.intel.sg/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/centrino-wireless-n-2230-brief.pdf https://www.intel.sg/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/centrino-wireless-n-2230-brief.pdf

Bluetooth 4.0 * (Low Energy) Dual mode Bluetooth

Connects to Bluetooth enabled devices such as a headset, keyboard, mouse and more,

including Bluetooth low energy devices

I don't use this laptop to connect to the Internet via WiFi so the 2230 adapter will be mostly used to connect to the Bluetooth GPS receiver and possibly other bluetooth devices such as a cell phone.

There are bluetooth drivers installed for a USB Bluetooth dongle.

Intel's 2230 drivers were installed from the file "WIFI_WinXP_32_15.8.0.exe" downloaded from the Intel site.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WScha1
Beginner

I found and installed a Intel Bluetooth XP 32-bit driver for the Intel 2230 adapter.

The Control Panel has Bluetooth Devices Icon and a My Bluetooth Icon.

I don't have any USB Bluetooth dongle inserted and active.

When I open My Bluetooth at the top of the page shows a message in small fonts "Bluetooth Radio Device is not available".

Under Bluetooth Tasks there are four selections

Clicking on each selection results in

Search for Devices (no response)

Bluetooth Neighborhood (no response)

My Bluetooth Settings (* see below)

My Received Files (empty folder)

* Listed under "My Bluetooth settings"

The computer name that other Bluetooth devices will see:

"Not Found"

The device type that other Bluetooth deices will see

"Unknown"

Greyed out empty check boxes

[ ] Allow Bluetooth device to find this computer

[ ] Allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer

Checked boxes

[x] Show Bluetooth icon in system tray

[x] Notify me about Bluetooth connections

Anyway I'm still not able to access Bluetooth via Intels 2230 adapter.

I have an active bluetooth GPS receiver that works ok with the USB bluetooth dongle and drivers. (currently is disabled)

Is there something else I must do or install in order to get Intel's 2230 BT functioning?

I don't see anything in relation to bluetooth from XP's Device Manager.

Apparently Intel's Bluetooth driver is unable to find the 2230 adapter or other bluetooth hardware is required?

----------------------

When the USB bluetooth usb dongle is inserted (active) XP Device Manager then shows a couple of Bluetooth related entries

Generic Bluetooth Radio

Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

I haven't been able to completely uninstall the Bluetooth Dongle drivers.

------------------------------------

I tried manually installing the Intel Bluetooth Drivers via Add hardware, which produced an Intel Bluetooth in the Device Manager, however it's Yellow in color and not working, producing a Code 31.

Apparently something preventing the Intel Bluetooth drivers from loading and activating the BT of the 2230 adapter.

Under Driver Details for Intel Centrino Wireless Bluetooth Adapter, shows

Driver Version 2.6.23.40059 (9/17/2012)

system32\DRIVERS\btmusb.sys

system32\DRIVERS\iBtFltCoex.sys

system32\WdfCoinstaller01005.dll

File version 2,6,1210,383

Device Instance ID

ROOT\UNKNOWN\0000

MAC Adddress, Manufacture ID HCI & LMP version are blank

Under General Tab

This device is not working because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)

I manually created this entry object from Add New Hardware, I found a selection for Bluetooth and Intel Centrino Wireless Bluetooth

For some reason when I installed Intel Bluetooth drivers for the 2230 from "WIFI_WinXP_32_15.8.0.exe"

No device entry was created. So apparently something either blocking or required for Intel's BT drivers installation.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wcs,

We understand you have recently upgraded the wireless adapter on your rugged laptop to the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230, but are have a hard time enabling Bluetooth®.

Please bear in mind that we don't recommend nor provide support for custom wireless integrations (upgrades). In this case this is likely the source of your issue.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?

Looking at the documentation for your laptop, we noticed the original adapter was an Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection. This adapter did not have integrated Bluetooth®. Because of this, it's unlikely that your computer will be able to properly handle the Bluetooth® module in your new adapter.

The Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 is a Half Mini Card (HMC) adapter, which uses the PCIe interface to communicate with your system. The Bluetooth® module in your adapter, on the other hand, communicates through the same connector, but using the USB interface. From our end, you should only need to install the proper driver. However, It's possible that you may need a BIOS update or configuration change, for which you'll need to engage your computer manufacturer.

Windows XP* is no longer within our scope for validation. These drivers are provided for your convenience only.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
WScha1
Beginner

Thanks for your response.

Yes I agree there may be some sort of incompatibility issues. I'm uncertain if this directly relates to this issue. The XR-1 uses an older PCI version and hardware architectures which may effect adding certain PCI adapters. Windows XP device drivers in relation to PCI are also older versions which too can effect compatibility issues. However you're correct that the bios also may come into play here too. So I can't say with any certainty what is causing the 2230's driver not to be loaded.

One 2230 user with issues rectified his 2230 problems and conflicts by performing a clean install of the 2230 and the Windows 7 OS. After a clean install of his OS the 2230 was recognized and where both sets of drivers were installed.

I don't think at this point in time I want to attempt an fresh install of Windows XP to determine what effect it will have on the 2230 BT being recognized by Windows XP.

When the XR-1 first came onto the market it did include an optional Bluetooth. However I'm not certain what sort of hardware module was used i.e. a pci adapter or another type of hardware module.

Intel's PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Wi-Fi adapter, was the default adapter where one could optionally add Bluetooth 1.2, GPRS/EDGE/3G/HSDPA and GPS modules. Wired networking is normally handled by an Agere Systems Gigabit Ethernet controller

My XR-1 has the latest bios and OEM support has been discontinued. The XR-1 was replaced by the GD8000 which is still supported by Itronix. Very similar to the XR-1 but with improved architectures.

At this point in time I'll probably stay with the USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle. The newer ones are very small and don't protrude out more than a 1/2 inch from the usb port.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello wcs,

We can agree. In this case it does seem that using an USB Bluetooth® Dongle is the best solution. If there's anything else we can help you with, let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos