Items with no label
3335 Discussions

SR300 does not work with Windows hello and depth camera.

hkim47
Beginner

Hi,

Until Windows 10 pro 1603, both Windows hello and Depth Camera had no problem.

However, the problem occurred after the 1703 update, and it was not solved by using the external power USB hub again after reinstalling the driver several times.

In the meantime, the firmware of the SR300 has been changed, and when I try to recover, the following result is displayed.

C:\FWUpdateSR300>fwupdatesr300.exe -oemId:0xcafecafe -force

Are you sure you want to burn the new FW image? 'y' or 'n'

y

Signed Image version = 3.21.0.0

DFU_version = 27

DFU_isLocked = 1

FW_highestVersion = 3.26.1.0

FW_lastVersion = 3.26.1.0

FW_SerialNumber = 612204001820

ERROR DFU_STATUS_ERROR_NOTDONE

FW not signed or exceeded max possible FW update of this version, remain with current FW

Camera Generation: Ivcam 1.5

Camera Connection Type: Peripheral

Device ID: 5fe72fa

Serial Number: 612204001820

OEM ID: 0xcafecafe

Firmware Revision: 3.26.1.0

Command: Burn New Version FW Image

FW update return code: -101

==========================================================

The current environment is NUC7i7BN Windows 10 pro 1709.

What is the solution?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
42 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The cameras have a feature where if you try to install an older version of the firmware more than 20 times then it goes into a protective mode that only lets you install a newer version of the firmware from that point onwards.

I would recommend not trying again to make further attempts to install an older firmware, as you risk sending the camera into a 'recovery mode' that can effectively 'brick' it (i.e stop it working at all).

The first thing I would recommend trying is to unplug the camera from the hub and plug it directly into the PC's USB port. That is because there have been a few cases where, after plugging the camera into a hub because it wouldn't work in the PC's port, it would not work in the hub either, but then would start working in the PC's port.

0 Kudos
hkim47
Beginner

Thank you for answer.

I connected directly to my PC, but SR300 Depth is not installed either.

So, is there any more solution?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If you are missing some of the three SR300 RealSense drivers (RGB, Depth and virtual drivers), Windows can download and install the drivers from the internet using the fiollowing process:

(a) Go into the Windows Device Manager and look in its Imaging Devices section for the SR300 drivers.

(b) Right-click on each RealSense driver that is present. Select Uninstall from the menu until all RealSense drivers have been removed from the Imaging Devices section.

(c) Unplug the camera, wait a couple of seconds and then plug the camera back in. Windows Update should start to automatically download and install them into the Device Manager over a number of seconds. The process should be complete within 30 seconds if it is going to work.

0 Kudos
hkim47
Beginner

Thank you for answer.

In the method described above, SR300 Depth 3.3.27.5718 and SR300 RGB 10.0.16299.15 were installed.

However, when I start face recognition for Windows Hello, the following error appears and does not work.

[Windows Hello Install Window]

Can not turn on the camera. Make sure it works again.

[Device Manager status (virtual driver not installed)]

Is the virtual driver a problem?

Please help me !!! ^^

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yes, the missing Virtual Driver can cause problems. If you still have a missing Virtual Driver after doing the Device Manager uninstall process, I recommend repeating the process (remove the drivers from Device Manager, unplug and re-plug) until you have all three drivers appear.

0 Kudos
hkim47
Beginner

Thank you for answer.

I tried the method described above and the virtual driver was installed as shown below.

Virtual Driver 2016-06-08 12.11.38.553

Depth 2016-09-22 3.3.27.5718

RGB 2006-06-21 10.0.16299.15

However, when I start face recognition for Windows Hello, the following error is displayed and it does not work.

Another app is currently using the camera.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

That's strange, as the reason that the Virtual Driver was originally designed was so that a non-RealSense program such as Skype could use the camera even if a RealSense application was already using the camera.

Have you rebooted the PC before you try Windows Hello?

0 Kudos
hkim47
Beginner

Thank you for answer.

Of course, the problem can not be solved even after restarting.

Is the version of the driver below OK?

Virtual Driver 2016-06-08 12.11.38.553

Depth 2016-09-22 3.3.27.5718

RGB 2006-06-21 10.0.16299.15

I installed "intel_rs_sdk_mw_core_offline_11.0.27.1384" but I could not see the video.

When I run Camera Explorer, the following error message appears.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If you have the three drivers but the camera still is not working, it is probably either not being detected by Windows, or disconnects its signal as soon as it starts up (this may be indicated by the green light on the front of the camera lighting up for a second and then turning off again).

For a lot of users with connection problems, they were able to fix it by plugging the camera into a mains-powered USB 3.0 hub instead of plugging it directly into the PC. Powered hubs are available for around $15 from stores such as Amazon by searching for 'powered usb 3.0 hub'.

If you have a device such as a tablet or smartphone that can be charged with a USB cable, you might also like to try the workaround below that works for my own SR300 camera connection problems. For it to work, the device needs to be less than 100% charged when you connect it to the USB cable to be charged.

0 Kudos
hkim47
Beginner

MartyG,

Always a friendly guide Thank you very much!

In my case, the program turns off as soon as the green LED is turned on.

External power supply type ORICO A3H4 USB3.0 HUB can not be used.

I do not understand the current situation because there was no problem with Windows 10 pro 1603.

Is there any solution to improve firmware?

If the SR300 is still being sold and there are a lot of problems, is not Intel officially recalling it?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

It looks like you definitely have a problem related to your cmera not being able to stay connected if the green light is going off right after the camera starts.

Intel worked with Microsoft for months to try to create a fix but were not successful, as there is apparently not just one single cause for SR300 connection problems. There are workarounds that can be tried. They work for some people and not for others, which illustrates the difficulty of diagnosing the problem.

I re-read your original message and saw that you had already tried a powered hub - apologies for suggesting that again.

The SR300 is due to be retired from sale imminently and the new D415 and D435 models will become the focus of the RealSense product range. Support for the SR300 will continue on this forum though, as it does for all older camera models. So there will not be a product recall. If you bought your SR300 from the Intel Click online store within the last 90 days, you have the right though to file a claim for a refund or a replacement SR300 by emailing mailto:click.support@intel.com click.support@intel.com

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000023505/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology.html Refund Process for Intel® RealSense™ Developer Kits

I see that you have the new 1709 Fall Creator's Update of Windows and that your problem was not solved by that upgrde, unfortunately.

I would recommen trying to plug the camera directly into your PC again. Sometimes when the camera is connected to a powered hub and doesn't work, it then starts working again if it is plugged directly into the PC afterwards.

0 Kudos
hkim47
Beginner

MartyG,

Always kind and quick reply Thank you very much.

I have not been able to use it since Windows 10 Pro 1703.

I had hoped to be solved in 1709.

Is there anything I can do now?

Is Intel currently working to solve the problem?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I believe that a fix is not currently being actively worked on, as Intel and Microsoft spent months on the problem and were not able to find a solution. So the focus of the RealSense developers has now moved on to the new D415 and D435 camera models. So unfortunately, if none of the workarounds work for an SR300 owner then there are really only two chances for the camera to resume working:

1. If Microsoft makes some change in a future Windows version that makes a non-working camera come back to life as a beneficial side-effect of that update.

2. If you have another PC that you can use the camera on. Sometimes a camera will not work on one particular PC but will work fine on another, illustrating the random nature of the problem.

0 Kudos
MSava3
Beginner

I have the same issue.

On Windows 10 1709

I've installed it and the Camera app as well as the Sample work well.

If I try to start hello it does not work.

Or to be more precise It worked once, registered my face on the fly but when I tried to do enhance recognition it stopped working.

The funny part is that there is an audio like if an app is closed/device disconnected.

I do not get any error, only the hello page is blank where the camera should be.

it's an SR300 NEW!

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There is a known issue with Hello where the camera works at first but if Windows goes into sleep mode then the camera does not wake from sleep.

I would suggest trying going into the Windows power saving settings and setting them all to 'never' so that Windows is unable to go into sleep mode and cause the camera to stall.

0 Kudos
MSava3
Beginner

Thank you but this is very bad.

I do not want the PC to remain always on, no way.

Is there any possible solution from intel?

M

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There is unfortunately not a known fix for this Hello sleep issue. It has been around for a long time. Intel's development focus is now on the new D415 and D435 cameras, and the SR300 is due to be retired from sale soon (though will still be supported on this forum).

So it is unlikely that updated drivers for the SR300 will be released. I apologize for the inconvenience and do really understand your frustration.

0 Kudos
MSava3
Beginner

Well this is NOT acceptable from Intel.

1) the camera is advertised on Intel and Microsoft sites as one of the few working with hello

2) the camera is still sold on the Intel ecommerce

3) the SDK 2.0 that supports the D ones supports even the SR300

So there is NO EXCUSE to fix a recognized, declared bug.

If they need help to diagonose, test and analyze I'm willing to help as I did for the lan teaming drivers issue.

They just have to ask.

M

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I just wanted to add that although SR300 can be used with SDK 2.0, the camera still uses the same drivers in Windows. So if a user's camera has detection problems because of the drivers, that problem continues with SDK 2.0.

0 Kudos
MSava3
Beginner

Correct.

Is a driver issue not a sdk issue so Intel MUST update the driver to support updated windows version.

I've noticed very weird behaviour even with the sample applications.

For example I had a deadlock when I launched the 3d Scan sample, the Virtual driver got disabled like if the camera was not there.

I disabled all the camera components, enabled them back and when I opened the Camera explorer it was able to find it BUT there was no image.

The green led was ON on the camera but no image.

Application crashed and, now that I'm writing, the green led is looking at me

Driver fix is needed

0 Kudos