Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - i9-7900x x299 ITBM 3.0

MSaka8
Beginner

So, I just built a new system and it seems that I'm having a problem very similar to "Claire_Monkey" here:

At intermittent times, I'll get a bugcheck/BSOD 0xA "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" pointing to IntelNit.sys (Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0.)

I'm not overclocking. I've had the system running for about 10 days now, and my concern is: I'm running out of return time (15 days) on the processor if it is in fact defective.

Asus X299 TUF Mark 1; 7/2017 bios

Intel i9-7900x currently stock speeds and voltages

32gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3400 1.35v (but running at 2166, 1.2v JEDEC table CL15 timings)

Win 10 15063, running ITBM 3.0 Driver - 1.0.0.1032

CPU temps are in the low 30's C.

Turning off Turbo alltogether is not really an OK workaround as this would put the CPU at 3.3ghz and make the i9-7900x really not worth it : I might as well return it and get a far lesser CPU.

The reason I'm concerned about this is I spent *two years* tracking down a fault (TDR Event 4101/nvlddmkm.sys) in my last X79/4930k build before I finally gave up (no solutions ever were found) and I'm really dreading another instability issue.

The last IRQL_N_L_O_E 0xA happened when exiting a program listed in the ITBM 3.0 app.

It does not seem to be repeatable in a regular fashion, but is intermittent. But obviously I'm not the first to have this problem.

It seems "Claire_Monkey" had a defective processor and I'm worried about moving on it for exchange from MicroCenter if that's the case here.

There IS an X299 bios update for the Asus X299 TUF Mark 1 which does include microcode updates to 6+ core processors; but I don't want to mask this if Intel knows that 0xA BSOD/Bugcheck pointing to IntelNit.sys generally means a defective CPU.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi MichiLumin,

I understand this is a new build and you are getting BSOD on stock settings. Sorry for any inconvenience but let me try to help.

I also checked the other thread you mentioned and indeed Claire_Monkey has a defective processor.

My recommendation would be updating the motherboard BIOS to the latest version https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-X299-MARK-1/HelpDesk_Download/ 0802, if you need help updating this BIOS version, please check with https://www.asus.com/us/support/CallUs/ Asus

Hope it helps.

Allan J
0 Kudos
MSaka8
Beginner

I updated the bios to 0802 shortly after posting this message.

Due to the "every few days" intermittency of this bugcheck/bluescreen/exception; I cannot be sure that it has fixed the problem or even affected it.

Please let me try to be clear about this: Are there changes/fixes/updates in 0802 that may actually affect this?

I need to know because I only have several days left to exchange the processor at the store if it is defective.

So I need to diagnose this as quickly as possible.

Knowing my luck, one day after my exchange period runs out, I will get IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL again.

If 0802 is NOT known to resolve this particular issue, is there anything else I can look at to try to make a determination?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi MichiLumin,

Thank you for the update. I am afraid this is information is available through your board maker and as per https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-X299-MARK-1/HelpDesk_Download/ BIOS description they have updated microcode for X series processors and some other fixes.

Regards,

Allan J
0 Kudos
KvanU
Beginner

Michi, the only 'solution' thus far is to disable ITBM in BIOS. I was in a similar situation, first assuming it had to be bad hardware. It wasn't. It's just that intel isn't as good in coding as they think they are. https://www.wired.com/story/intel-management-engine-vulnerabilities-pcs-servers-iot/ Just look at IME for example, it's a disaster.

Ain't that something? You don't get what you pay for, with Intel, apparently.

0 Kudos