Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

I210 TX/RX hang

AB6
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using the I210 with 3.14.26-rt22 kernel and igb driver 5.2.15.

During a stress test, after ~10-15 hours I receive NETDEV WATCHDOG timeout.

It seems that the RX FIFO had overrun scenario, but it can't recover from it, no further receive/transmit interrupt is asserted after the overrun scenario, it seems that RX/TX unit hangs.

Bringing down/up the network interface, doesn't recover from this problematic scenario, only power-up to the board (TI AM5728).

Attached is information retrieved after the timeout.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Adi

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Adi,

Thank you for the post. Is this an onboard I210 NIC or a standalone I210-T1 adapter? Just to double check if you have check with the board vendor if this is an onboard NIC.

After this timeout, did you try reload the driver?

Thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
AB6
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The hang problem is understood.

I saw that after the overrun scenario of the RX FIFO, the endpoint had pending MSI-X interrupt, but the RC didn't report on any pending interrupt, therefore GIC/CPU wasn't notified.

After manually acknowledging the MSI-X pending interrupt, interrupts returned to work correctly.

This problematic hang behavior was caused due to the fact that PCIe RC doesn't support MSI-X only MSI.

The NIC was configured to work with MSI-X by default.

After configuring the NIC to work with MSI mode, after overrun scenario on the RX FIFO, the hang problem doesn't occur anymore .

Thanks,

Adi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adi,

Good to know the issue does not occur anymore and much thanks for sharing the information.

rgds.

wb

0 Kudos