Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20496 Discussions

HD Graphics 4000 has stopped re-detecting displays in docking - post windows update

mcoll6
Beginner

Have been happily running windows 10 (laptop) - with dual monitors, but since a recent update, the system once docked will no longer re-detect that it using different monitors.

Previously i could use it:

1. Un-docked - at 1600 x 900

2. then when i put it to sleep

3. Then dock it and resumed:

it would

a) switch to 1920 x 1080, and

b) also detect and display on the second monitor - no intervention required.

Now, it remains in it's prior "state" (it neither changes state nor outputs to the second monitor) - only outputting to the first external monitor - but at 1600 x 900.

Thus since a recent change, it is not "re-detecting" the "change in state" on resume, ONLY when i now do a full restart.

The update may have been a Windows update, but on the same day i also installed a Toshiba Dynadock - with dual display port support.

I have used the Lenovo system update to update the driver - now it is at 10.18.10.4425 - and as the driver loaded the monitors re-detected, and corrected - but later the problem is persisting.

Does anyone know how to force the driver to re-detect on resume not just on restart? Or is this a "consequence of doing things in a certain order"

System:

Lenovo T430s laptop -

HD Graphics 4000 version 10.18.10.4425 (from Lenovo System Update)

with a Lenovo ThnikPad Usb 3.0 Pro Dock (dual HDMI/DVI ports)

dual BenQ GL2450 monitors.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello matcoll,

Thank you for joining the Graphics community, and my apologies for the inconvenience.

I could not find information on forcing the driver to detect the displays on resume, but in this case it seems like the issue could be related to the specific driver and operating system versions this since you were able to do this before. From my end there is one more version available for your graphics controller which you can find here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26813/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-?product=81499 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.33]. Please try this version using these steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows...

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
mcoll6
Beginner

Thank you..

I have now updated and my driver is showing - 10.18.10.4653 - 7/4/2017

However i have had the same issue again today - forcing me to restart the operating system - to have it re-detect correctly.

Interestingly, when i go from "docked" to "undocked" (using only sleep mode) - the driver will go from a max of 1920 x 1080 - down to the laptop resolution of 1600 x 900 - but once i come back to the dock - it will not allow me to switch to a resolution higher than 1600 x 900 (nothing higher displays in the list either in the windows display setting, nor in the intel control panel)

Is something telling the driver to not resize up again?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Based on that behavior it seems like it's related to the dock itself, more to the configuration and drivers. From my end you can try updating the Intel® HD Graphics driver version to the latest which you already did; however, if the issue persists the right support for your specific configuration should be provided by Lenovo. I noticed that this docking station can go through a driver update, also Lenovo support can help with more feedback on setting your displays.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos