Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

No HDMI audio on Intel HD 4600

DChen62
Beginner

Hello,

Currently I have an ASUS laptop running Windows 10 Education Insider Preview and Intel HD Graphics 4600. I have noticed that after one of the Windows updates, Intel Display Audio does not work when I have HDMI.

I have recently uninstalled all available drivers and installed the recent driver:

Driver Provider: Intel Provider

Driver Date: 6/9/2017

Driver Version: 20.19.15.4703

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

I have also verified that I have selected the TV as the default audio device:

However there is still no sound. Hyper-V is enabled on this laptop, I was wondering if that could potentially be an issue.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
21 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello d.mcii,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with the HDMI audio.

It seems like is related to the Windows Update your system ran, unless you changed Hyper-V configuration prior to the update. Let's gather your computer model information in order to try to address this matter with other drivers, also; do you remember the previous Intel® HD Graphics driver version installed?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DChen62
Beginner

I don't remember the previous driver version as the issue started a while ago and I have been trying to fix it for a while. However, I think it may have happened after upgrading from Windows Home to Windows Education Insider.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/116926 d.mcii, thanks for this information.

Could you please provide your computer model?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DChen62
Beginner

I have attached a screenshot of my computer specs below and an Intel SSU generated log to this message:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the detailed information.

Please let's updating the following driver;

Installation steps:

1. Open Cortana
  2. Enter cmd in there to open up the command prompt
  3. Enter cd desktop (For this step the work, after you unzip the files, please save the chipset.exe on the desktop)
  4. After that enter: setupchipset.exe -overall

I provided the chipset driver from our end because I was not able to find it from https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G56JK/HelpDesk_Download/ ROG G56JK | ROG - Republic Of Gamers | ASUS Global, it seems like the driver support is not the same as for Windows 8.1.

One more thing, is there any chance to test a different cable and different TV or monitor?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DChen62
Beginner

I currently don't have another TV nor cable, however I did try it in the past with other TVs and cables and the same issue occured. I just tried attaching another laptop with the same TV and cable and there was sound available so both the wire and the TV are good.

Regarding the posted fix, where is the BIOS 202 file used? I just have it unzipped onto the Desktop with the setupchipset.exe.

I did the following, with both setupchipset.exe and G56JKAS.202 on my desktop. I then ran the command from cmd prompt and followed through with the installation and restarted, however the problem is still there.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For the BIOS update you will have to run it, these steps could help: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008859/ Update BIOS - How to use Easy Flash to update the Notebook BIOS version? | Official Support | ASUS Global

Please try the following:

• Check the audio output settings on your TV. On some Panasonic TVs, you may need to change the speaker output from TV to Digital.
  • Verify that Intel® Display Audio Drivers is installed. Go to Device Manger then under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, look for Intel® Display Audio.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DChen62
Beginner

I have confirmed that the settings on the TV are correct.

I have also verified that the Intel Display Audio driver is installed, however there is still no sound even though the TV shows there should be sound.

I will update once I update the BIOS.

0 Kudos
DChen62
Beginner

I updated the BIOS, however it did not fix the problem and there is no sound through hdmi.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My apologies for the inconvenience.

I would like to know if you have the chance to test a different Windows® 10 version.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DChen62
Beginner

Unfortunately at this moment I can't change Windows versions. However I have stopped Insider Preview and at the next Windows update, I will be able to test with normal Windows Education.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/116926 d.mcii, if that is possible for you please go ahead and share your results. From the steps taken so far this could be related to the operating system, as you can see we have tried several things in order to address this matter, but the issue is still there. I am thinking that next step after testing a different Windows® 10 version is to get in contact with the computer manufacturer, but let's wait for the results with Windows® 10 Education version.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/116926 d.mcii, hope you were able to test Windows® 10 Education.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DChen62
Beginner

Hi Amy,

Sorry for the delay. Rolling back to Windows Education led to a large issue in the process where the Windows File System was corrupted.

I was finally able to recently able to reinstall Windows Education and update to the current Intel driver. This fixed the audio working on HDMI. However this led to another issue with a blue tint in the display which hurts eyes with long term use. This is the same tint that appears when the Intel display adapter is disabled and the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter Driver is in use.

The tint is apparent in the attached image below. One shows the display on the TV and the other on the laptop. In the laptop one, the tint is blue-ish since the driver is not working correctly. When the display is working correctly, usually both the TV and the laptop monitor have the same shade. However currently the laptop display driver for the laptop display is not working. It is not a setting issue with the TV or laptop monitor as this has appeared in the past when the driver was not working properly for the display.

EDIT*

After examining the log saved from dxdiag, i see the following errors under the windows error reporting section:

Could this be potentially related to the driver not installing correctly?

EDIT* To clarify even further, this is not an issue that can be corrected via color profile. I have gone into the Intel Graphics Control Panel -> Color ->Color Enhancement menu and adjusted the Hue and Saturation but the effects were still different than what the color should look like.

I did go into safe mode and uninstall all drivers and reinstall the Intel drivers multiple times. On one instance the color came back to normal, however after I restarted, the color went back and I have not been able to achieve the same result since then.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It could be a driver matter, let's check the version you currently have installed. Please go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed.

I am glad to hear the HDMI issue was fixed, it all aimed to the operating system version installed.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DChen62
Beginner

The current driver version is:

Intel HD Graphics 4600 20.19.15.4703

I think it might be an issue with windows not upgrading correctly. The following set up process occurred

Reset to windows home -> Upgrade to Windows Education- >Upgrade to Windows Anniversary (Education) -> Installed latest graphics drivers.

I am planning on perhaps reinstalling windows again but updating the graphics drivers in windows home before upgrading.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Since the version installed is the latest, I agree with your plans. Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy C.
0 Kudos
DChen62
Beginner

Hi Amy,

After reinstalling windows home and windows education, I saw the same result. However I was able to fix the color tint by installing Asus Splendid.

To summarize the issues that we fixed throughout this thread:

1. Windows 10 Education Insider version had an issue where there was no HDMI audio. It was either an issue with upgrading to that version or with that particular version. The HDMI audio was fixed when Windows Education was reinstalled.

2. On a Asus laptop, when Windows was reinstalled, color was off because Asus Splendid was uninstalled. Asus Splendid is a program that Asus uses to manage color profiles. Also prior versions of Asus Splendid was only compatible for WIndows 7 or WIndows 8.1 so the color would be weird from time to time. I found a WIndows 10 version of Asus Splendid, copied the particular Color Profiles, *.icm files from C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\ASUS\Splendid(G56JK)\Win7_****\data\ColorTable, to the data\ColorTable folder and installed Asus Splendid. After running it, the color profile was fixed.

Thank you for your help throughout the whole debugging process.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

d.mcii, these are great news! I am glad to hear you fixed the issue. From my perspective it seemed like a Windows matter, but I am glad you tracked this down. Thank you sharing this detailed post.

If you have more questions regarding any other matter, please let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
DKim48
Beginner

I had the same problem. HDMI sound disappeared after 5-30 seconds of watching any Youtube video in Chrome. When maximizing the video to full screen, sound disappeared especially fast. No manipulations with official Intel drivers helped. After sound disappeared, I usually could restore it by disabling and reenabling my HDMI audio device (display) in Sound>Playback.

FIXED by disabling virtualization in BIOS. Intel, please investigate this case.

Attaching my system information.

0 Kudos