Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Not sure what graphic driver to install

PRabi
Beginner

I have a fairly new computer (components, not a brand) running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Build 14393. It has an Intel core i7-6700K processor. My graphics adapter is Intel 530. I've been having trouble trying to upgrade Windows because I end up with a black screen with a large cursor & can't see the desktop. Apparently, Microsoft "updates" the driver & it doesn't work.

I went to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/97503/Graphics-for-7th-Generation-Intel-Processors Downloads for Graphics for 7th Generation Intel® Processors & see that the latest driver is 15.46.02.4729, updated 7/11/17. I also downloaded & tried the "Intel Driver Update Utility Installer". It gave me an error message, & didn't work. So before I screw things up, I have a few questions:

1. Will the latest driver, 15.46.02.4729, work with my graphics card? [It says it's for 7th generation, which I have, but lists graphic adapters like 630, etc., not 530]

2. If not, will 15.45.19.4678, listed on the same site above work? [It says it's for adapter 530, BUT 6th generation processors]

3. I currently have driver 20.19.15.4624. How can I find where it's located?

What I'm planning on doing is disabling the current driver for the Intel card, trying to update Windows (& hopefully be able to see the desktop) & then update the driver. I want to make sure that I have an updated driver before I do this? (Or is it better to disable the driver, reboot, update Windows, click the device manager & update the driver through the device manager?)

Sorry for all the questions, but I've been very frustrated. Thank you in advance,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Actually your processor is 6th generation: https://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz) Product Specifications

You can use both drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4-20-GHz- Downloads for Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)

If Windows update offers a non-working driver, install the desired driver afterwards.

Updating the driver through the device manager is only necessary if the installer fails.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Actually your processor is 6th generation: https://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz) Product Specifications

You can use both drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4-20-GHz- Downloads for Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)

If Windows update offers a non-working driver, install the desired driver afterwards.

Updating the driver through the device manager is only necessary if the installer fails.

PRabi
Beginner

Thank you so much for your reply. In the interim, Windows updated Windows version 1607. When it was done, I was able to see my desktop with Intel's graphics card & with my nVidia card (which I also have). This is the first time Windows update let me see my desktop. However, graphics on both cards were very slow & certain windows (like their "Show hidden icons"...used to be called systray) were often blank. Because all the graphics were terribly slow, I ended up restoring my backup from Macrium Reflect.

Before doing that, I tried updating the Intel driver by using the Device Manager. However, it said I had the latest driver. So I have a new question, please. Why would the device manager say I had the latest driver, if the ones that you mentioned above are later versions?

Thank you again! I appreciate your time.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

phrab schrieb:

Before doing that, I tried updating the Intel driver by using the Device Manager. However, it said I had the latest driver. So I have a new question, please. Why would the device manager say I had the latest driver, if the ones that you mentioned above are later versions?

It's an epic issue since Windows 95.

It can happen if you choose "manual installation" where you select the target directory.

Therefore i recommend the similar, yet different "have disk method" where you select a particular INF file.

0 Kudos
PRabi
Beginner

Thank you again for your reply. I apologize for the delay in responding, but I've been out of town. I downloaded the Intel Driver Update Utility 2.9. I have driver version 20.19.15.4624. The utility said that the newest driver is version 15.45.19.4678, so I downloaded it. When I tried to install it, the utility said "failed" under installation & the restart button was greyed out. I'm not sure what I should do at this point. Could you please point me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Forget the old versions.

Today Intel released a new driver build 4771

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27058/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.46]

0 Kudos
PRabi
Beginner

Thank you again, Stephen!! I had some trouble, but ultimately think I installed it. However, I'm still a little confused.

When I downloaded the .exe file for the driver & attempted to install it, it failed. I received the message which I've attached a graphic.

Then I checked using the Upgrade Utility again. Windows first started the "compatiblity" check & then started the utility, which then listed a driver & a chipset (I'm not sure what the difference is). I chose the "chipset" option this time & it installed.

When I run the utility again, it seems to say I don't have the latest driver. I've attached a snapshot of that also.

Could you please tell me what that means? I really appreciate all the help.

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

The version check is broken in the driver update utility, i have already reported that to Intel.

Ignore what it says and be happy with the new driver.

0 Kudos
PRabi
Beginner
0 Kudos
PRabi
Beginner

Stephen, I want to thank you again. Today, I finally braved using Windows update to update several things, including Windows 10, build 1607. Every time I had done this in the past, all my graphic drivers didn't work & I either had a blank screen or blank windows. After updating today, I had the same problem I did last time...opening windows were blank, clicking links were blank, etc. I ran the Intel Driver Utility & it wanted to give me an older driver version (win64_154519.4678). I remembered that you said the Utility was broken & you had reported it. Fortunately, I still had the later one (win64_154605.4771) & installed it again & rebooted. Perfect!! Everything seems to work & the graphics are fine. I couldn't have done this without you!!

0 Kudos