Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool test memory controller?

JOHer
Beginner

I am having issues with my new build with the Intel I7-7700k on a EVGA Z270 Classified K where the system freezes randomly and the caterr light comes on. I ran the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and everything passed. I thought the memory controller might be defective but the windows 10 memory test passed and the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool passed so I am wondering if the diagnostic tool runs tests on the memory controller before I RMA the cpu. Does passing all tests mean the memory controller is good on the cpu?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Jerr: Thank you very much for joining the Processor communities. We will do our best in order to try to fix this problem.

In regard to your inquiry, yes, the processor diagnostics tool runs a test on the memory controller of the processor. If the processor passed the test it means the memory controller on it is working fine, but that does not mean that the memory RAM stick itself is working properly, it might be defective.

Now, before you try to replace the processor:

Did you test the PC with just one memory stick at the time with all the RAM sticks and in all the memory slots?

Most of the times the problem is related to the board, do you have the option to test your processor on a different board or test your board with a different processor?

Do you have the option to use a different SSD/Hard drive?

How many watts on the power supply?

Are you using a video card?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
JOHer
Beginner

Sorry for the delay, this issue is driving me nuts..I have not tested it with one stick yet..will do monday when the new case arrives although the memory tested fine with Windows 10 memory tester. I have a EVGA GTX980TI on a EVGA Z270 Classified K motherboard and the power supply is 1000 watts and is new also. This is my first Intel build in 20 years of pc building so unfortunately I do not have spare anything. I run 2 250 gig Samsung 850 Evo SSDs and 2 WD 1 tb hard drives. I am using a Steelseries Merc Stealth keyboard which is something I worry doesnt work well with USB 3.0 with no spare USB keyboard to test. I replaced the Corsair M95 mouse with a basic dell mouse to test that. The motherboard was replaced already Via EVGA as the first mothboard had an issue with the panel headers. I am running dual asus monitors, one is displayport and the second using DVI. The computer freezes so randomly it impossible to track the issue, sometimes works great for 24 hours and sometimes freezes 2 minutes after hard restart. I am running the latest bios and drivers however i have unistalled the killer 2500 nic to try the intel nic. I also unistalled the soundblaster driver package. Monday if the issue persists I will remove the GTX980ti and try the onboard Intel HD 630 graphics. Really this was suppose to be my most exciting build in years and has turned into a nightmare. Windows 10 and its intrusive behavior also adds to the headache by installing updates at the worst possible time while troubleshooting.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Jerr: No problem at all. Thank you very much for sharing that information, we really appreciate that and we are sorry to hear that the PC is not working as you expected. Perfect, please let us know the results after testing the PC with just one memory stick at the time and with the Intel® HD 630 onboard graphics. If the problem persists after trying the steps above, the issue could be related to the processor itself as well, so once you get the chance let us know the outcome.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
JOHer
Beginner

Ok as much as I hate to say anything...cause yanno celebrating too soon usually fails..lol...

After uninstalling the soundblaster recon software windows loaded the SB driver on restart. So far no freezes after running since my last post. But..as I have said before it can go a day without freezing. This would seem like an odd fix since the motherboard sound is the Soundblaster and the software comes directly from EVGA. I will still order a new Keyboard and as soon as I can build my NAS server I will remove the older WD 1 tb hard drives. I plan to add a 32 gig Optane memory and a Samsung 960 M.2 drive. One issue that haunts me is with my last pc build I bought a displayport cable that I learned was backfeeding voltage thru the 20 pin and possibly the cause of a power supply failure also might have damaged other components which is a major reason I want to eliminate all my older hardware from this build. It really irritates me that the manufacturer of the displayport cable and other industry individuals denied the possibility of damage being caused yet after replacing the cable my monitor no longer randomly went black with a no signal message. Lets face it, most components were not made with diodes or protections against backfeeding since it is not suppose to happen in the first place and from my research I learned if you backfeed voltage on a capacitor long enough it can cause capacitor failure or allow the voltage to go thru. Also it is ironic that windows 10 can do so much including things i dont want it to do and yet fails to provide good clear and precise error reporting. Sorry about the long winded rant and I will still test the memory one stick at a time just to be thorough on Monday when my case arrives.

Thank you for the help thus far. and once I get a chance to try out Intel Optane if it has an impressive result in one of the games I play then I will send the other 50,000 dedicated players your way. Feel free to donate a 32 gig Optane if you want me to test it now rather than later.

thanks

Jerr

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Jerr: You are very welcome. No problem at all, we understand that it could be frustrating to have a PC that is not working properly and some cables are not that good in regard to quality. Thank you very much for sharing that information, I am pretty sure it will be really useful for all the peers viewing this thread. Perfect, try those tests and once you get the chance please let us know the results.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Jerr: I just wanted to check if you were able to do the tests mentioned previously and if the problem persists after that?

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos