Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
308 Discussions

RAID 10 Initialize and Poor Windows Performance

SDASG1
Beginner

Hi,

We have few HP Z440 workstations with RAID 1+0 configuration. We have 32GB RAM, 4 x 3TB SATA HDD, Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 v3 @ 2.80GHz and Intel C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA RAID Controller. We are using Intel Rapid Storage Technology tool to configure RAID volume. We have one volume and the volume should be 5.3TB in size.

The problem is after installation of Windows OS and our application, the computer becomes very slow and this is occurring very often. If I check the RAID status, it shows "Initialize" in Rapid Intel Storage Technology console.

Can we get the reason why RAID moves to "Initialize" automatically. And is there anyway we can stop or optimize this activity. We have observed that when RAID status is "Normal", the computer runs fast.

Can anybody tell me the reason and how can we improve the RAID performance or stop or configure the Initialization?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Sourav

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SOURAV_GUPTA,

Thank you for joining the Chipsets community.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this matter.

The "Initialize" state could indicate physical damage with the hard driver itself or the cable. The computer becomes slow because each time it's initiated the RAID structure is re-building.

Could you please let us know your Windows version and the Intel® RST version installed?

Have noticed a strange behavior with the disk? Do they disappear and then re-appeared?

Does the issue happen when you are doing something in specific in the computer?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
SDASG1
Beginner

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your response.

We are using Windows 7 OS and we have installed RSTe_f6_iaStorA_win7_64 in the OS.

We have not noticed any strange behaviour with the disk. They do not disappear or re-appeared.

Computer takes long time to boot (approximately 4 Mins 30 Seconds) during RAID "Initialize" status. We do not perform any specific action in the computer. Normal operation for example opening any window or copy\paste any small\big files takes unusually long time to complete.

Now RAID is Initialized, it took 9 Hours to complete. I opened the RST Tool & saw that Parity errors:0, Blocks with media errors:0, Computer is relatively faster, but we want to know why RAID automatically moves to "Initialize" status and how can we get some logs to check or troubleshoot or get the root cause of the issue?

One more information, Write-back cache:Disabled, should we Enable it? Does it have any improvement in the performance or does it have any impact?

Thanks & Regards,

Sourav

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sourav, thank you for this information.

In order to address this matter in the most accurate way I would like to request your system report for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology, please follow the instructions here to get this report: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/technologies/000006351.html System Reports for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology. Once done, attach the file.

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sourav,

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
SDASG1
Beginner

Hi Amy,

Sorry for my delayed response.

Please find the System Report from my computer.

Thanks,

Sourav

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sourav, thank you for the file.

I noticed that you have installed the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise version, so I will move your thread to the community, this is the right support channel for this app.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
JohnMu
Beginner

It's like you're looking for a way not to help here by tossing the issue to Enterprise instead of explaining what's happening.  I went to the link you supplied and this particular issue is non-existent, yet the issue is still unresolved for Sourav and for myself.  It's stuck at 2% yet the Advanced status is Initialized: Yes.  It's been at 2% for a very long time.  The disks themselves were operating independently for months in Windows with no issues and were tested prior to being put into a RAID 5 array, in my case.  Initialized says : Yes, yet it sits at 2% complete for 5 hours now.  These are contradictory and not sure how to proceed and I believe Sourav was looking for the same guidance when you abruptly threw it "over the wall" to a different team and now the issue is lost.

What does this mean to be 2% complet under Status, yet Initialized: Yes?

0 Kudos
JEphr1
Beginner

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your response.

We are using Windows server 2016 r2 64.

We have not noticed any strange behaviour with the disk. They do not disappear or re-appeared.

Computer takes long time to boot (approximately 4 Mins 30 Seconds) during RAID "Initialize" status. We do not perform any specific action in the computer. Normal operation for example opening any window or copy\paste any small\big files takes unusually long time to complete.

Now RAID is Initialized, it took 9 Hours to complete. I opened the RST Tool & saw that Parity errors:0, Blocks with media errors:0, Computer is relatively faster, but we want to know why RAID automatically moves to "Initialize" status and how can we get some logs to check or troubleshoot or get the root cause of the issue?

One more information, Write-back cache:Disabled, should we Enable it? Does it have any improvement in the performance or does it have any impact?

system report attached..

Thanks & Regards,

Jobin Ephraim

0 Kudos
SDASG1
Beginner

Hi Team,

Can someone please reply to this thread?

Thanks & Regards,

Sourav

0 Kudos