Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Hey guys, which one is better to 3D scan an object R200 or euclid ?

ATang7
Beginner

I want to scan the various aspects of human body using the Intel realSense sensors. Please help me to choose from Euclid or R200.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I would go with the R200 for body scanning, as it has a years-long, proven track record with doing so. Plus you have the choice of being able to use it with Windows or Linux, whereas with Euclid you would have to use it with the Linux OS.

You should bear in mind though that the R200 is no longer supported by the RealSense SDK software ('2016 R2', the version before the current one, is the last version that supports it), and the open-source Librealsense SDK that does still support the R200 cannot provide the 3D scanning features that you need.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I would go with the R200 for body scanning, as it has a years-long, proven track record with doing so. Plus you have the choice of being able to use it with Windows or Linux, whereas with Euclid you would have to use it with the Linux OS.

You should bear in mind though that the R200 is no longer supported by the RealSense SDK software ('2016 R2', the version before the current one, is the last version that supports it), and the open-source Librealsense SDK that does still support the R200 cannot provide the 3D scanning features that you need.

0 Kudos
ATang7
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for the response. So which sensor would you recommend other than these two if R200 cannot provide the 3D scanning features?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The ZR300 is the next-generation successor of the R200, but it does not work with the Windows-based RealSense SDK, and needs Librealsense or the RealSense SDK For Linux.

A form of the ZR300 is used within Euclid, though it is not quite the same as the full ZR300 Developer Kit camera, as the Euclid version is missing an ASIC chip that the Kit camera has and so provides that missing chip functionality through software simulation in Librealsense. This means that Euclid needs to use a special "forked" version of Librealsense that may be out of sync with update patches released for the main version of Librealsense.

The SR300 can do 3D scanning and is compatible with both Windows and Linux. It is more suited to scanning smaller objects than the human body though and has a shorter default range than the R200 (1.5 m instead of 4 m, though this can be adjusted with filters via scripting).

0 Kudos
ATang7
Beginner

Ok thanks.

I am very new to these sensors. Could you please suggest the one which requires minimum software adjustments and can be easily used for 3D scanning?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The most accessible cameras are the ones that can use the Windows-based RealSense SDK, as the software comes with a pre-made sample program called 3DScan that can be used without any programming knowledge to scan a model and then export it as a 3D model file in .obj format. These cameras are the R200 and SR300.

0 Kudos
ATang7
Beginner
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You're very welcome! Please come to the forum any time whenever you have further questions. Have a great weekend!

0 Kudos
ATang7
Beginner

Thank you.

Which SBC you would you recommend using with SR300 ? And can SR300 work with raspberry pi ?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

In the contest of your question about Raspberry Pi, I'm guessing that by SBC, you mean Single Board Computer?

RealSense cameras will unfortunately not work directly with Raspberry PI, as they have a USB 2.0 port and RealSense requires USB 3.0. However, in the past users with USB 2.0 mini-boards such as Arduino have managed to indirectly connect them to RealSense by setting up a serial connection to a full PC with attached RealSense camera.

An alternative to Raspberry Pi that may suit you could be the Up Board. Intel bundles the basic model of it with the R200 in their Robotic Development Kit, and there are more powerful versions of Up Board available for purchase separately.

R200 can also connect to the Intel Aero Compute board, a board similar to the Up Board that is designed for use on drones such as Intel's "Ready To Fly" drone kit.

R200 is usually the camera used for direct-to-miniboard connections because it has support for the Intel Atom processor found on some mini-boards, whereas the SR300 does not have that support and prefers an Intel Core-compatible processor.

Other USB 3.0 boards you could investigate are Nvidia TX1, TX2 and the Lattepanda.

In this YouTube video, it is shown how an R200 camera is connected to the Nvidia TX1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTiumCtFqf8&t=2s Intel RealSense Camera - NVIDIA Jetson - YouTube

So in summary, an R200 would be best for direct-to-board camera connections in most cases. An SR300 may be able to be used with an indirect setup where a board is connected to a full PC with SR300 via a serial connection..

0 Kudos
ATang7
Beginner

Ok Thanks.

So I think R200 with 2016 version will be the best in this scenario, which brings me to the question that:

Is the intel R200 still in production? And what would be the pricing for let's say 50,000-100,000 R200 modules per year. Is the module for integration into production application, different from the one you guys are selling on your website. Or is the R200 on the website different from the production module that you sell. Also is there any separate production module of SR300? Or is it the same as the SR300 available on your website?
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The R200 is still available from Intel's online Click store. It can be bought on its own or with an Up Board (Robotic Development Kit) or as two separate purchases of the Intel Aero Compute Board and the Aero Vision Accessory Kit (an R200 plus 2 extra color cameras that provide superior color resolution capabilities than the ordinary R200).

REALSENSE CAMERA KITS

https://click.intel.com/realsense.html Intel® RealSense™ Developer Kits

AERO COMPUTE BOARD 

https://click.intel.com/intel-aero-platform-for-uavs-compute-board-2211.html Intel® Aero Platform for UAVs Compute Board

AERO VISION ACCESSORY KIT

https://click.intel.com/intel-aero-platform-for-uavs-vision-accessory-kit.html Intel® Aero Platform for UAVs Vision Accessory Kit

The Aero also has the option of an enclosure for the R200 and Aero board.

https://click.intel.com/intel-aero-platform-for-uavs-enclosure.html Intel® Aero Platform for UAVs Enclosure

If you are planning to use the R200 as a caseless module integrated into another product then the board module version of the camera in the Aero vision Accessory Kit may suit you best. If you do not want the extra video cameras in the Vision Accessory Kit, you can order the camera board on its own from any Intel Approved Distributor company, such as Arrow or Mouser (Intel do not sell the camera boards themselves).

Another reason you should use the caseless board is that the cased USB Developer Kit version of the camera is not approved for commercial use. This is because there is only a 90 day return warranty on this model, so it would be impractical for use in a commercial product. Using the caseless board version in your product should be fine though.

For inquiries about bulk purchases, you should contact the sales team at the Intel click online store. mailto:click@intel.com click@intel.com

https://click.intel.com/customer-service Customer Service

However, it is likely that the R200 camera will be retired at some point because it is one of the oldest cameras in the RealSense range. To ensure continuity of parts supply for the long term, I would recommend investigating whether you could use the ZR300 camera module, which is a next-generation version of the R200 that was released this year and has greater capabilities due to its newer technology. The ZR300 has identical IR components to the R200 and so has some measure of back-compatibility in that regard.

Also, there is a new RealSense camera module coming called the R400 that has double the operating range and over double the number of trackable depth points, thanks to a new vision processing chip. It can be used both indoors and outdoors and apparently has a totally new software stack (making it incompatible with current and past RealSense SDKs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvXJSn22ujU Intel RealSense 400 for self-driving cars, autonomous drones, Robots, for indoor and outdoor use - YouTube

Regarding the SR300, a board module version of it is available from Intel Approved Distributors too.

BTW, I just wanted to add that I am not an employee of Intel, and so technically are only one of the Intel "guys" in spirit rather than speaking as an official representative.

0 Kudos
ATang7
Beginner

Thanks alot for your response! Could you tell me does R200 sdk uses JAVA or some other programming language?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The R200 (and indeed the RealSense SDK) can use Java. It is not recommended these days though, as Intel identified that the web components of the SDK had a potential security vulnerability. The facility to use that language is there if you want it though and are willing to take the theoretical security risk.

In the RealSense online documentation pages, you can find the Java version of code if a particular instruction supports it by clicking on the 'Java' option tab.

0 Kudos
ATang7
Beginner

Ok Thanks.

Which languages other than JAVA are supported? And which language you would recommend?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Other than JavaScript and Java, C++ and C# , can be used. My personal preference is C# but that's just the language I use everyday.

RealSense can also be used with C# in the Unity game creation engine, and in the Processing language (2.x versions earlier than Processing 3).

0 Kudos
PSnip
New Contributor II

Hi Marty,

you mentioned that, " there is a new RealSense camera module coming called the R400 that has double the operating range and over double the number of trackable depth points, thanks to a new vision processing chip". I wanted to know what is this new vision processing chip - is it just next generation realsense processor? Or is it using movidius?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The R400 is now called the D415 and D435. I had it confirmed that they are indeed what was formerly known as R400.

One could assume that the new vision tech is probably based on the Movidius tech acquired in 2016, and iterated on with Intel's own developments since then. It is referred to as the Intel RealSense Vision Processor D4.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/realsense/400-series Intel® RealSense™ Depth Cameras D400-Series | Intel® Software

Edit: I read back on the previous messages on this discussion and saw that they did not contain the latest news about the RealSense range as the new cameras arrive, so I thought I'd better update you.

When the D415 and D435 are released, the R200 and SR300 cameras will be 'transitioned out', though technical support for the cameras will undoubtedly be available on this forum for a long time. There is currently a discount sale in the RealSense section of Intel's online Click store, reducing the R200 and SR300 to $99.99 until September 30 or until stocks run out.

0 Kudos