Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Netwtw04.sys error with BSOD (driver up to date)

JWU76
Beginner

Just got a brand new laptop and been getting crashes due to Netwtw04 errors every few hours. I have updated the drivers and have tried rolling back to old drivers but nothing seems to help. Anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
26 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jozhou6891,

We understand your PC is crashing and reports Netwtw04.sys as the reason for the error. Please apply the following in order to discard some options:

- Check for Windows* updates.

- Try disabling the antivirus in your PC and check if it helps.

For further assistance, please let us know the the following information:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options of the communities to add the resulting file to your post as an attachment.

- Does this happen when you run a specific task? (sleep or resume, running a specific program, etc.)

- Were the errors happening with the original factory configuration? Were there any changes made around the time this started? (new programs, updates, etc.)

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JWU76
Beginner

Hi, Jonathan

So this is a brand new laptop of maybe 2 weeks and everything is up to date. The problem existed before a anti-viral was installed and there are no specific times that this happens. The error was there since the beginning and I have no installed anything that I think might interfere with the network.

I have attached the report created by the intel support utility.

Thank you

Jordan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jordan,

We checked the information you provided and we recommend to follow these steps to perform a clean installation of the wireless driver:

1. As first option, we advise to use the driver obtained from the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support, if the issue persists you can try the generic version of https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26924/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10-?product=94854 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 [19.70.0]

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the Intel Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

Additionally, since this is a new PC and the issue has happened out of the box, we advise you to check with the Computer Manufacturer or Place of Purchase about this.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jordan,

Please let us know if there was any progress after the recommended actions, or in case you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JWU76
Beginner

Hello, Jonathan,

I have followed the recommended steps and will up date the forum after a few more days of use to see if the problem was fixed.

Thanks you

Jordan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Jonathan,

We will be waiting for your update, or in case you require any additional assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JWU76
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

Unfortunately, the problem is still there and the laptop just crashed with the same stopcode.

What else can I try?

Thank you

Jordan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jordan,

In this case, we strongly advise to contact the Computer Manufacturer Support, specially since this is a new computer and you mentioned that this happened even before you even installed any additional software. There may be an application causing conflicts with the drivers of the wireless adapter.

From our end, you can try using the "driver only for the adapter as last option. This is similar to the previous process, but does not install some components:

1. Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26930/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins [19.70.0] and use a file compression manager to extract it to a known location. Driver file: Wireless_19.70.0_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Go back to Device Manager, look for the AC 3168 (it may be an unknown device), right click on it and select "Update Driver Software", then "browse the computer for driver software", look for the location of the folder where you extracted the Driver files from step 1. The follow the prompts to complete the installation process.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
JWU76
Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

It seems that I am getting this problem mostly when using the Edge browser, can you tell me if this can be related or just a coincident.

Thank you

Jordan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jordan,

The browser may be related to the issue, considering that the issue still happens after the clean installation of the driver only using the steps from our previous post. As we mentioned before, this type of problem can be caused by 3rd party applications.

Please check on this with the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support since this is a brand new system, or try using a different web browser.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jordan,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. Has the issue been resolved?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JWU76
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

The problem is still there, have tried three browsers and updated, reinstalled drivers. Since I need the laptop right now for work, there is no way to send it back to the manufacturer.

Thanks for the follow-up

Jordan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jordan,

Please try changing the following https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005585.html advanced adapter settings:

1. Open Device Manager, expand the Network Adapters Category. Right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and open properties. Under the Advanced tab, please make the following adjustments:

1. Packet Coalescing: Disabled

2. MIMO Power Save Mode: Disabled

2. Right click on your start menu or use the Windows* Key + X combination. Select Power Options from the drop down.

1. For the current power plan in use, select to "Change plan settings," then "Change advanced power settings."

2. Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode > Set both "On battery" and "Plugged in" to Maximum Performance.

3. You will need to repeat steps one and two for any power plan you commonly use.

Once you've made these changes please continue using your laptop as normal. If you receive another BSOD, please locate and share the stop error dump file with us. This file is located on your C:\ drive by default, usually called Minidump or MEMORY.DMP.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JWU76
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Went through the steps above but instead of the Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 I had the AC-3168 so I followed your instructions for it instead. Prior to this within the last 3 hours or so I have had three BSOD and here are the dump files. Not sure if this is relevant but my Wifi connections drop or stop working quite frequently, for example when watching an video on Youtube it would just stop loading at times. I have never had this problem with other laptops in the house.

Thanks for the fast reply

Jordan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jordan,

Looking at your BSOD dumps, we would like to discard the posibility of this being a RAM Memory issue.

In order to do so, please run the Windows* Memory Diagnostic tool as described in the following article:

- https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how-to-test-your-computers-ram-for-problems/ How to Test Your Computer's RAM for Problems - by howtogeek.com

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

However, we do believe that your WiFi connectivity issues are a separate problem. This may be caused due to the limitations between your adapter's 1x1 antenna configuration, and your Wireless-N router (similar to /thread/117655 thread/117655).

Looking at your SSU logs, we noticed that your adapter is connected to a legacy Wireless-N network, with a connection rate of only 72.2 Mbps. The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 has a 1x1 antenna, meaning one antenna supporting one data stream, with a second antenna dedicated to Bluetooth®. If you upgrade to a Wireless-AC router, the adapter should be able to improve it's connection rate closer to 433 Mbps, potentially resolving your connection hangs and drops.

We look forward to finding out how your RAM test turns out.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JWU76
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Did the memory test, not sure what the results said. Was there a specific report that you want me to upload to you?

For the second part of your answer are you saying that my connection problem is due to an old router and that I will need to physically replace it in order to solve the problem?

Currently I need to fix the BSOD first because it really interferes with daily use. Are you saying that it might be due to the memory?

Let me know how to proceed from here

Thank you

Jordan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jordan,

Correct, looking at your BSOD dump file it's one of the posibilities. But these errors are not always as definitive as one would like. For example, defective RAM or a defective adapter may cause your driver to crash and produce a stop error. I guess I'm trying to say that "what crashed" is not quite the same as "why it crashed," but it's definitely a good starting point.

The Windows Memory Diagnostic usually displays the results live but doesn't give much time to read them. If you missed the outcome we can check the results using the Event Viewer:

1. Right click your start menu icon, or press the Windows* Key + R. This should display the administrative menu, here you'll need to select Event Viewer from the list.

2. From the left hand pane, expand the Windows Logs category, and select System.

3. On the right hand Actions pane, select "Find.."

4. Type "MemoryDiagnostic" and click on Find Next.

5. There should be two sets of logs, as the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool will have performed two separate tests.

6. If the General Description says anything other than "The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected no errors," right click on the event, and choose to "Save Selected Events..." after naming the file, select to "Display Information for these languages: English," then press OK.

7. Attach this file to your thread.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JWU76
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Both memory diagnostic logs says "The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected no errors".

Jordan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jordan,

Since your RAM seems to be OK, we have the following options left:

1. Your wireless adapter could be defective.

2. Your wireless adapter may be loose on it's M.2 connector.

3. There could be a loose antenna, or a defect with relating to your laptop's motherboard.

We could check 1 and 2 by physically examining your wireless adapter. Please keep in mind that opening your laptop could potentially void your warranty, so we would recommend checking with your computer manufacturer before proceeding.

1. What you would need to do is to first open up your laptop, this can be very simple, or require some prying. We were unable to find any details on this for your computer model.

2. Once you locate your wireless adapter, you will need to unplug the wireless antennas (make sure to note which is connected to where, unless they're labeled).

3. Remove the screw holding your adapter in place, then pull the card from it's M.2 connector.

4. Visually inspect the connector pins. They should be clean and debris-free.

5. Re-seat the adapter on it's M.2 slot, screw it in place, reconnect the antennas. Test the adapter to see if the issue has been resolved.

As a last recommendation, leaning on the creative side, we may suggest backing up any important data and reinstalling your operating system. Thankfully, in Windows® 10 there is a simple way to do this, and it doesn't require having to reactivate your license:

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Recovery options in Windows 10 - Microsoft Support

In this article you'll need to scroll down and expand the instructions on how-to "Reset your PC."

If none of this works, we'll be left with the option you were looking to avoid; returning the laptop to the place of purchase or computer manufacturer for service or warranty replacement.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JWU76
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

The wifi card looks good, in terms of your other idea (reinstalling), will that wipe everything on the laptop?

Thanks

Jordan

0 Kudos