Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

What setup config will benefit from Intel Optane?

FRese
Beginner

Hello.

My question maybe its simple for some users, but i dont understand all compatiblities with this technology.

1 - Intel Optane, its compatible with RAID0 HDDs? (Example: I have 2 HDD WD Black 1TB)

Response: I believe it is not compatible (Im right?)

2 - Intel Optane, not works in HDD secondary (Example HDD1 C:\Windows, HDD2 D:\Backup), will not work in HDD2 right?)

3 - If have one HDD (With 2 partitions, C:\Windows and D:\Backup), Optane will work only in Windows Partition (Im right?)

Actually my settings are:

2x120gb SSD (Windows+3 Games)

2x1TB HDD (10 Games+Personal Files)

Whats my benefits using optatane?

------------------------------------------

If i not benefit, what ideal setup for benefit optane?

The setup will benefit of optane, are 2 HDDS:

HDD1 (Windows+Games)

HDD2 (Personal Files + Games Installation)

No need SSD

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Spookyz,

To answer your questions above please see below:

1 - Intel® Optane™ Technology does not work with RAID configurations, please see https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000024018.html this link under Hardware and Software, question 13.

2 - Intel® Optane™ Technology can only accelerate the boot drive of your system, please check https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000024018.html this link under Hardware and Software, question 3.

3 - Intel® Optane™ Technology will only work for the bootable partition of your disk.

The benefit of using Intel® Optane™ Technology is that your HDD will load the most used applications faster (Really fast to be honest), as well the boot time (will be around 5 - 8 seconds at the least the ones we have tested).

It is really fast based on the fact that the operating system and applications will be loaded through the Intel® Optane™ Memory Module, which is NVMe*, instead of your mechanical SATA HDD or SSD.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Nestor C

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Spookyz,

To answer your questions above please see below:

1 - Intel® Optane™ Technology does not work with RAID configurations, please see https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000024018.html this link under Hardware and Software, question 13.

2 - Intel® Optane™ Technology can only accelerate the boot drive of your system, please check https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000024018.html this link under Hardware and Software, question 3.

3 - Intel® Optane™ Technology will only work for the bootable partition of your disk.

The benefit of using Intel® Optane™ Technology is that your HDD will load the most used applications faster (Really fast to be honest), as well the boot time (will be around 5 - 8 seconds at the least the ones we have tested).

It is really fast based on the fact that the operating system and applications will be loaded through the Intel® Optane™ Memory Module, which is NVMe*, instead of your mechanical SATA HDD or SSD.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
FRese
Beginner

Thank you for Awnser.

It's a very interesting technology. But for SSD users, mainly it uses it as SSD for Windows.

It is not so viable.

I hope one day, intel will make a Driver or Bios update, so Intel Optane can be used on a Secondary Data Disk. (Without Windows)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Spookyz,

Thanks for your response and feedback. We expect to implement this technology for secondary drives in the future and hopefully with more features.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Spookyz,

We would like to know if you read our previous post and if you have any other question. We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos