Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

I7 6700k core temp differences

SSutt2
Beginner

good day,

I just completed a computer build (my second one, first one was only a month ago).

It's got a core i7 6700k.

When testing and watching MSI Afterburner and running prime95 (26.6) with small FFT (per another thread I saw related to this), I saw inconsistent core Temps reported.

Core 1-2 approx 60

Core 3-5 approx 57

Core 5-6 approx 43-45 with jumps to high 40's/low 50's

Core 7-8 approx mid 50's

I have screens shots I can upload shortly.

Should i be worried? Should I look at RMA'ing the chip? Temp differences persist, though not as extream differences when running more normal apps.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Steve1299,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

This is normal behavior for all Intel® processors; the core temperature will always be different, very rare for not saying ever you will see the same temperature on each core.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
SSutt2
Beginner

Ivan,

I never expected the same Temps on all cores, but I had expected similar or close temps on the different cores, so, that large split even with equal load on all cores was what concerned me and made me question if there was a problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Steve1299 this difference is expected with this processor, also you can take 10 different processors and you will see different temperature behavior, this also depends on the environment and applications used etc, but as long as the temperature is under the processor specs you don't have anything to worry about it.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos