Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Display driver error message in Windows app

TTim
Beginner

I have a Toshiba L750 laptop. I haven't installed all the drivers but did install the recommended Intel Display Driver (8.15.10.2353) for this laptop.

I have been having problems with Movie Maker in Windows 7. It keeps crashing and I am getting error messages such as this one which seems to indicate something to do with the Graphics Driver (see number below in Fault Module Version):

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: MovieMaker.exe

Application Version: 16.4.3528.331

Application Timestamp: 533a401b

Fault Module Name: igd10umd32.dll

Fault Module Version: 8.15.10.2353

Fault Module Timestamp: 4d9a83b9

Exception Code: c0000094

Exception Offset: 000e4271

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/%3Flinkid%3D104288%26clcid%3D0x0409 http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Now I have tried to run the latest Intel Driver Update Utility and it doesn't find any drivers to update although it is obvious that this driver has been installed. Also in the Control Panel I have an Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel (see attached report for additional information).

I didn't install any of the other Intel drivers as recommended by Toshiba for this model (i.e. chipset utility) as I am not sure what Windows 7 SP1 picks up on its own.

I am not sure where to go with this problem now and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for the report.

This problem seems to be related to the graphics drivers version you are currently running on the computer, I would recommend updating to the latest graphics drivers version 4229.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24970/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-32bit?product=81500 Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1-32bit

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24971/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-64-bit?product=81500 Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8-64-bit

Please let me know if the driver version 4229 works for your computer.

Allan.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for the report.

This problem seems to be related to the graphics drivers version you are currently running on the computer, I would recommend updating to the latest graphics drivers version 4229.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24970/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-32bit?product=81500 Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1-32bit

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24971/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-64-bit?product=81500 Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8-64-bit

Please let me know if the driver version 4229 works for your computer.

Allan.
TTim
Beginner

OK. Many thanks for your advice. This seems to have done the trick...

I just have a few questions at this stage:

1. Is 9.17.10.4229 a natural progression from 8.15.10.2353?

2. I notice that some of the text is slightly fuzzy and not as sharp as before. Is there something I can do about it? If not it's a small price to pay for this good result as the general picture quality and my output from Movie Maker to mp4 is much improved and the whole video editing and production process did not crash. However, I also noticed that some of the movies when played in VLC have black borders between them. I can't remember if this was as obvious before the driver update.

I am killing two birds with one stone with these next questions...

3. I also have another Toshiba laptop (C50-A490) which has picked up a driver update using the Intel Driver Update Utility. The listed Intel Driver is Intel Graphics 4600 (10.18.10.3621). Can I safely update to the recommended driver (15.36.31.4414)? I guess I would only update from latest drivers and not the older drivers section. Also can I trust the results of the Intel Driver Update Utility for all my computers, including the one with Windows 10?

4. This other laptop also has an NVIDIA graphics driver. I really don't understand how two display drivers work on a pc. In the NVIDIA Control Panel there are options to 'Manage 3D settings'. This defaults to auto-select although there are options on global settings and for individual applications to change to NVIDIA which I don't quite understand. What does Intel advise?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Nice to hear that updating to the latest graphics drivers has fixed this problem.

I have answered your questions below:

1. Yes, driver version 4229 is the latest generic Intel® graphics drivers.

2. You may try adjusting screen resolution settings, maybe, trying to get native screen resolution. See instructions at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005529.html Frequently Asked Questions about Display Resolutions

3. The latest Intel® HD graphics 4600 graphics drivers are available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26229/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

4. If the computer integrates two graphics cards, they are called Switchable or Hybrid graphics controllers. Some computers have a hardware switch. Some computers have an icon in the Windows taskbar that you can use to switch the graphics controller. Some computers automatically switch to the Intel graphics if the computer changes to battery power, or it can switch to the discrete graphics if the computer is plugged into AC power. Some computers use third party software to do the switch.

Check the help documentation from your computer manufacturer to decide how to make this switch on your computer.

Allan.

0 Kudos
TTim
Beginner

Many thanks for all your advice.

I decided to go back to the original driver (8.15.10.2353) in the first laptop. I will try to work through the manufacturer first to see if there is a newer driver, Windows Update second and the Intel Driver Update Utility last. Failing that a generic driver may be an option but a customised computer manufacturer driver makes sense as the ideal solution.

I still need to look into how exactly to use NVIDIA and Intel together in the second laptop but it looks to me that there is an option to default individual apps to NVIDIA for GPU resource hungry operations. I am not sure it would make sense to change the default graphics processor from Intel to NVIDIA although this does appear to be an option. The Intel driver on this laptop (Toshiba C50-A490), which is a 4th generation i5, is Intel HD Graphics 4600 (10.18.14.4414) and should be able to cope with video editing better.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for updating this thread. In case you need more assistance or if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us back.

Allan.
0 Kudos
TTim
Beginner

OK just to give you some background on this in case someone else comes across this post and has the same problem. I bought the Toshiba L750 laptop in 2011. For years it suffered from a clicking dvd drive which I had to disable in device manager as well as sometimes constant cpu fan use. Years later i.e. now I decided to install a Windows 7 retail disk and add my own drivers as provided by Toshiba when required. The main result was that the dvd drive no longer clicks and the cpu fan doesn't come on all the time. Not only that Speccy reports the base cpu temperature as much lower. I suspect some faulty program within a software component in the original Toshiba laptop as the performance difference is now so much better and I don't have to think of buying a new laptop anymore. Even trying a live dvd of Ubuntu freed up the hardware in terms of performance.

The original laptop was provided with an older Movie Maker version which is possibly why I had been having problems as I installed a new version of Movie Maker which has not performed as well with the original display driver. Your solution of using a new updated generic driver worked but I decided to go back to the original display driver and switch off a setting in Movie Maker called 'Prepare files for faster editing' and the program works much better now.

Toshiba never provided their own update on their site to the original display driver so it is better to stick where I am now with this. Sometimes we have to make a difficult choice in deciding which driver or application to install as sometimes these can degrade the operating system performance massively. I heard advice saying that all manufacturer drivers should be installed but in this case I didn't do it for the reasons I mentioned above.

However I guess it is advisable to install all drivers provided by the manufacturer marked as Intel with a clean install? In this case it would be the following and most essentially the top two or three in this list:

Chip Set Utility

9.2.0.1015 4518 Wed Aug 10 15:01:00 BST 2011 Intel

Installs INF files that inform the OS how to properly configure the Intel® Chipset.

Display Driver

8.15.10.2353 81575 Wed Aug 10 15:02:00 BST 2011 Intel

This driver enhances the functionality of your display device and allows you to perform different settings, such as Color Management, Monitor Properties or Overlay Control. You can also get help if you have any display related troubleshooting issues.

Intel Management Engine Interface

7.01.85.1216 33531524 Thu Apr 16 10:26:00 BST 2015 Intel

The ME Interface provides thermal management for Intel Mainboards. The Intel Management Engine Interface (Intel ME Interface) is the interface between the Intel Management Engine firmware and the host. Drivers and applications on the host that wish to interact with Intel Management Engine through host interface would use the Intel ME Interface host windows driver.

Intel PROSet/Wireless Software

14.0.2.0.1 43968 Wed Aug 10 15:01:00 BST 2011 Intel

The Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software works in conjunction with Intel® PRO/Wireless Network Connection hardware to connect your notebook to a wireless LAN.

Rapid Storage Technology Driver

10.1.2.1004 12014 Wed Aug 10 15:01:00 BST 2011 Intel

Intel Rapid Storage Technology provides new levels of protection, performance, and expandability for desktop and mobile platforms. Whether using one or multiple hard drives, users can take advantage of enhanced performance and lower power consumption. When using more than one drive, the user can have additional protection against data loss in the event of a hard drive failure.

Wireless Display

2.0.29T 120925 Wed Aug 10 15:01:00 BST 2011 Intel

Wireless Display is a solution that enables you to wirelessly project your notebook PC display to a TV across the living room.

The experience is similar to connecting your Notebook PC to a TV via an HDMI cable.

Wireless Lan Driver

10.05.25 116720 Mon Nov 17 13:01:00 GMT 2014 Intel

This driver enables a connection to your Wireless Access Point or to another wireless-enabled PC by using your wireless network card.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for sharing this detailed information. I am sure other peers will appreciate it.

Allan.
0 Kudos