Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20633 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 530 HDMI issue: stopped working after update

JGenc
Novice

Hi,

I just bought a new laptop and everything was working fine until the system drivers got updated to the latest issue.

My machine:

ASUS ROG GL552VW

Intel i7 6700HQ

12 GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 960m

Windows 10

etc..

I plugged in my Hitachi 42' smart tv through the HDMI port and it was working fine, then both windows 10 and the device drivers were updated to the latest versions. After the reboot the HDMI port stopped working: the second screen is not being recognized (as confirmed through Intel HD Graphics control panel, the Hitachi TV is no longer recognized as a display). I tried a lot of different solutions, including:

Manually removing and re-installing all the graphics drivers to the latest version (tried both Beta 15.45.12.4552 and 15.45.12.4542)

Manually removing and re-installing all the graphics drivers to a very old version (roll back, in other words)

Disabling and re-enabling the Intel HD graphic display adapter via the device manager

Changing HDMI cable (hi speed and non hi speed)

Changing HDMI port on the TV

Rebooting again and again

Win + P switching between duplicate and second screen only

Please note: the TV and the HDMI cable are perfectly fine, I have tried my old Asus (with Win 7) on both ports and both HDMI cables and works fine

The only thing that really worked until the following reboot was changing HDMI cable: for some odd reason when I turned on my pc with my cheaper, shorter HDMI cable the dual display did work. Then Win 10 downloaded an update and had to reboot to install it, after the reboot HDMI connection was gone again.

This is getting really frustrating as I mainly use my laptop plugged in my big 42' screen because I work in my lounge, and in all my years using laptops I've never came across something so random. Please advise.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello gelatinaverde,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I suggest you to turn off your system, unplug every component you have connected to your Laptop, disconnect the power adapter from the outlet and disconnect the HDMI cable from your Laptop and from the TV, leave it like that for a few minutes and then plug everything back on and see how it goes.

If it doesn't work, try connecting the HDMI cable to different HDMI slot in the TV if there is another one available.

Also, you can try the following:
  1. Go to the device manager
  2. Under display adapter
  3. Double click the graphic card
  4. Then go to driver and click disable
  5. Then click enabled

I hope this can help.

Best regards,

Ivan.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JGenc
Novice

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi gelatinaverde ,

I advise you to install the diver that is provided by laptop manufacturer, because the driver from intel is a generic driver that doesn't have the modifications that asus made to the driver to adapt to the chipsets used in your laptop.

The driver from intel can be used for testing purposes if you have problems with the driver you use, and it may not work properly on custom system builds from all manufacturers.

0 Kudos
JGenc
Novice

Thanks for your reply Ronin,

I am running the drivers provided by ASUS and the outcome is still the same unfortunately.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Try to uninstall driver completely using this utility http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.4.3

Then install it again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello gelatinaverde,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I suggest you to turn off your system, unplug every component you have connected to your Laptop, disconnect the power adapter from the outlet and disconnect the HDMI cable from your Laptop and from the TV, leave it like that for a few minutes and then plug everything back on and see how it goes.

If it doesn't work, try connecting the HDMI cable to different HDMI slot in the TV if there is another one available.

Also, you can try the following:
  1. Go to the device manager
  2. Under display adapter
  3. Double click the graphic card
  4. Then go to driver and click disable
  5. Then click enabled

I hope this can help.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
JGenc
Novice

Hi Ivan,

thank you for your help.

I have already tried to disable/enable the graphic card as suggested, and I have tried both HDMI ports on my TV. I have also tried two separate sets of HDMI cables.

Unplugging and re-plugging everything after some time as suggested didn't help either.

It just seems that my system has completely lost the capability to recognize a HDMI device when plugged in.

Any other ideas?

@@@EDIT 17:12 GMT@@@

I have disabled and re-enabled the video card from the Device Manager and it did work! I just hope this will fix it for good, will let you know. Thank you again Ivan!@

CCris2
New Contributor II

Try to see how it behaves if you restart the system

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your reply, I hope your system keep working as it should after disable and enable the driver in device manger.

Ivan.

0 Kudos
JGenc
Novice

Hi,

today it stopped working. Yesterday evening the HDMI connection was working fine, no updates were installed overnight nor other major (or even minor) change was made, yet HDMI is not working today. Tried disable/enable trick in Device Manager, I have removed the graphic drivers completely and re-installed and nothing seems to work so far.

Please help. thank you

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Do you have another HDMI cable that you can try? Specially a high quality HDMI cable.

What is your TV model?

Have you try installing the graphics driver from your computer manufacturer website, you can download it here:

https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL552VW/HelpDesk_Download/ https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL552VW/HelpDesk_Download/

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Ivan.

0 Kudos
vgupt10
Beginner

Hi,

I am also getting the same issue from last 2 weeks. HDMI monitor is not detected after bootup.

When I uninstall the Intel graphics driver, its working fine for me.

According to this post, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24955 Download Test Driver - HDMI Display Detection (Test driver is released to resolve issues some users are reporting regarding HDMI display detection).

So, When I install the test driver, HDMI is detected successfully and working fine for me.

Now, I need to understand the root cause and when Intel is going to release the actual driver with the fix of this issue.

Thanks,

Vaibhav

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

If you have an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) system I strongly recommend contacting your system manufacturer for support and for them to test this configuration, if they validate this issue, this issue will be reported to us from your computer manufacturer.

Note: These test drivers are generic versions and can be used for general purposes. However, computer original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided by your system manufacturer. Intel and the computer original equipment manufacturer (OEM) may not provide technical support for some or all issues that could arise from the usage of this generic version of software drivers.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

If you have an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) system I strongly recommend contacting your system manufacturer for support and for them to test this configuration, if they validate this issue, this issue will be reported to us from your computer manufacturer.

Note: These test drivers are generic versions and can be used for general purposes. However, computer original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided by your system manufacturer. Intel and the computer original equipment manufacturer (OEM) may not provide technical support for some or all issues that could arise from the usage of this generic version of software drivers.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos