Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14546 Discussions

50,000+ handles and 2,000 Threads just from start up. On a I7-6700k Processor

xMaas
Beginner

So, recently I have begun to notice my laptop slow down in terms of speed. First my charger had bugged out saying it wasn't charging, fixed that my re-installing the battery driver. Then I checked Task Manager and found I was using 50-75% of my CPU by just being on my desktop. So I did some research and found I had 500,000 handles and about 5,000 threads running, the main cause of this was svchost.exe but whenever I end that task, it just re-opens and continues to collect and add more handles. As of writing this I just re-started my laptop about 5 minutes ago and I have 100,000 handles.

My specs are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

16 Gb of RAM

64 Bit operating system.

Now after finishing this my handles have gained 25,000 more as of typing this post. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this that would be awesome

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Contact Microsoft support to determine what your version of Windows is doing.

Also, examine your startups.

And, check for virus.

And, check your anti-virus program.

And, you should not be terminating svchost unless you know what you are doing.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Freeeasy,

Based on your description, this seems to be related to your operating system; as mentioned before the best call should be contacting Microsoft to get more information in regard to the "svchost.exe". From my end, I would recommend running your operating system in safe mode in order to check if the issue persists, also try with a Clean Boot. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. See here for the instructions; https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows. Additionally, you can try to check the health of your processor is to run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. This tool runs a diagnostic that checks for brand identification, verifies the processor operating frequency, tests specific processor features, and performs a stress test on the processor. See here for the application; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi /thread/110211 Freeeasy,

I am following up your thread, and I wanted to check if you were able to follow the suggestions mentioned above.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
xMaas
Beginner

I did the shorter version of the diagnostics test and it said that there was nothing wrong. So I spent more time doing research and found my only option is to soft reset my laptop from a date when i didn't have the handles leak. So i did reset my computer and that did the trick to help my performance.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/110211 Freeeasy, that is really good to know. So, now you confirmed that this is related to the operating system.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JPlan
Beginner

That's quite a bit.

Some power user/developer tools may be able to help you. pslist is a tool that can help you if you are comfortable with the command-line. ProcMon is another

good tool, and can help if it's related to svchost

pslist -d > threadlist.txt

notepad threadlist.txt

My guess is that if there's a problem, it's probably 1 rogue program doing it, or a few.

0 Kudos