Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Is my computer equivalent to an Intel Core I7 6700k?

LMcKe1
Beginner

So the Intel Core I7 6700k has quad cores at 4 ghz each core. I have a setup with two 6 core Intel Xeon x5650s running at 2.67ghz each core. Is it worse, equivalent, or better than an Intel Core I7 6700k 4ghz possessor? Also can you tell me if it is worse, equivalent, or better than 2 Intel Core I7 6700k 4ghz possessors?

Also - I was wondering if my gaming/editing/motion design setup is decent:

500gb HDD Western Digital Black HDD 12tb RAID 0 Western Digital Black HDDs 48gb ram Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Two 6 core Intel Xeon x5650s running at 2.67ghz each core

Thank you so much if you answer my question, so uh yeah. xD

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

No, they are different, by at least 5 years for one thing:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/88195,47922 ARK | Compare Intel® Products

You can compare the two in the above link.

As far as your editing setup, WD, Nvidia are not Intel products, so "no comment". Perhaps Consumer Reports or some site that offers product comparisons would help you.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Where to start, where to start...

First and foremost, you are comparing the 6700K processor with a pair of Xeon processors that are 5 years older. In that time, even by the most conservative of estimates, the raw processing power has more than doubled. As well, you are talking about Cores that run at a significantly higher clock rates than these older processors. Thus, from a raw computing standpoint, the 6700K probably wins -- but, raw processing power isn't everything...

• Each Xeon has three pipelines for accessing memory while the 6700K has only two. This can (based upon workload) mean that the Xeons spend less time waiting for data and instruction fetch.
  • The pair of Xeons offer 24 execution threads versus the 6700K's 8 execution threads. Whether this is better depends upon the workload; if a game (for example) is designed specifically to take advantage of multithreading capabilities, the Xeon might have an advantage.
  • The Xeon is optimized for transactional processing while the 6700K is optimized for general-purpose processing. Again, which is better depends upon the workload.

In summary, whether these are advantages for the Xeons - and indeed whether these advantages will overcome the differences in raw computing power - will depend upon what kind of workload you are running and whether that workload is designed for multithreading and/or able to take advantage of the Xeon's transactional processing optimizations.

Offsetting some of this argument is the fact that the 6700K processor works with DDR4 memory (while the Xeons only work with DDR3 memory) and thus has a much higher clock rate on its memory busses.

The 6700K, as a desktop processor, is not designed for multiprocessing. It does not, for example, support the QPI bus capabilities that allow multiple processors to share memory and workload accesses. Thus, you cannot compare the two Xeons to two 6700Ks.

If nothing else, your rig needs SSD(s).

My opinion, at the end of the day, will be based upon the fact that your processors are 5 generations older - and, in fact are 6 generations out of date (the 7700K Kaby Lake processor is now available). What's concerning is that you are at or slightly beyond the (7 year) average MTBF figure targeted for computing components (especially on the motherboard and including things as simple as solder). If you are not having age issues as yet, you soon will. Believe me. Bottom line, my opinion is that it is time to replace your processors, memory and motherboard - and it's time to add some super fast SSD(s). Whether you choose to look as a pair of modern Xeon or extreme desktop processors or you look at a single processor (the 6700K or the 7700K), will depend upon your budget and what you are planning to use it for...

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

All Hill and N. Scott Pearson, thanks for your assistance.

To: LiamMcKee

Hello LiamMcKee,

In regard to your concern in this community, we can offer you a comparison between the Technical Specifications you can see on http://ark.intel.com/compare/88195%2C47922 ARK | Compare Intel® Products.

Besides the information provided by All Hill and Scott (that is correct), if you would like to have some additional details, you can also use the following link:

http://cpuboss.com/ CPU Boss

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Angie.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello LiamMcKee,

I would like to know if the information provided to you was able to solve your concern?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Angie.

0 Kudos