Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Can I connect realsense camera module with Pixhawk??

idata
Employee

I'm just learning a little bit with C++ and Arduino Nowadays

I have big interest with programming and drone So I'm planned to make autonomous obstacle evading drones.

So I'll buy pixhawk 2

Pixhawk 2 has Edison carrier board inside.

can it be connected with Realsense camera without mini PC or Raspberry Pi or Aeroboard?

I want to make my own code and obstacle evading Algorithms... can it be possible??

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JDill1
New Contributor I

The answer is "no". The RealSense cameras need USB 3.0. I am using the Intel Joule and also the NVidia Jetson TX1 with my RealSense cameras. You can't connect a RealSense camera to an Edison either as it does not have USB 3.0. I have 4 Edison boards in the project I'm working on, but they are positional sensors only. Use either the boards I suggested, or the Intel Aero board. I am using one also.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Intel already has a ready-made RealSense drone kit that is due for release any time now (store listing says mid January 2017). It costs $1100.

http://click.intel.com/intel-aero-ready-to-fly-drone.html Intel® Aero Ready to Fly Drone - Intel® Aero Platform Developer Kits

Intel also demonstrated a RealSense drone with evading capabilities in January 2015, demonstrating that it is indeed possible if you want to build your own RealSense drone system instead of using their Aero kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0HoyJbYCPQ Intel® RealSense™ 3D Camera Drone | Intel - YouTube

I believe that early model used in that 2015 video was based on a board with six R200 cameras arranged in a 360 degree circle.

http://bit.ly/2jVQjVG

The new Aero drone kit seems to use a single R200.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your reply

but I dont want to make it with Intel Aero kit.

I have many drone controller system so I want to connect it with real sense, not with Intel Aero kit

First of all, the kit has too high price.

I just need intel realsense module.

If it has no compatibility, I'll may use Microsoft kinect

there was no try for connecting realsense with Existing Flight Controller so I want to try it... and I want to hear your opinion

and, pixhawk(drone flight controller system) has Edison Chip inside. can it be compatible with realsense?? they have Edison chip but cant it be compatible with realsense?? I want technical support team's opinion

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

RealSense has been successfully connected to Edison. I can confirm that much.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-realsense-technology-in-combination-with-the-intel-edison-development-platform Using an Intel® RealSense™ 3D Camera with the Intel® Edison Development Platform | Intel® Software

Regarding whether RealSense will work with the Pixhawk's Edison chip specifically, this is likely to be a question that is best asked on the Pixhawk support forum. An extensive search found no exact examples of Realsense being used with a Pixhawk via Edison, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I want to use it for evading obstalcles autonomously...

0 Kudos
JDill1
New Contributor I

The answer is "no". The RealSense cameras need USB 3.0. I am using the Intel Joule and also the NVidia Jetson TX1 with my RealSense cameras. You can't connect a RealSense camera to an Edison either as it does not have USB 3.0. I have 4 Edison boards in the project I'm working on, but they are positional sensors only. Use either the boards I suggested, or the Intel Aero board. I am using one also.

0 Kudos
QLi15
Beginner

Hi PR,

It's good to find someone with experiences on Joule, TX1 and Aero. Which linux systems are you using on these boards? I'm thinking of using one of these three with openpilot or cleanflight (because they are cheap and can output to ESCs), and do light image processing and sensor fusion. Which one do you recommend?

Thanks

Qiang

0 Kudos