Items with no label
3335 Discussions

C# 3DScan "Face" mode not working with SR300, SDK 2016 R3 and Surface Pro 4

TXu7
Beginner

I have just installed SDK 2016 R3 on my Surface Pro 4, with an SR300. 3D Scan C# sample works well except I can't choose Face mode, it throws "FEATURE_UNSUPPORTED" error.

Does anyone have same problem? I really want to use this Face mode because the next mode - Head has farther range than I needed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Tony X

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

SDK R3 is very different from past SDKs, in that it splits the SDK into separate modules rather than packaging everything together in one installation. '3D Scan' is one of these now separate optional modules. Have you downloaded and installed it? It is is on the SDK download page in the SDK Components Download section, and is the third item down under the main Essentials module.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-realsense-sdk/download Intel® RealSense™ SDK | Intel® Software

0 Kudos
TXu7
Beginner

Thank you MartyG!

Yes I did install 3D Scan module and Core module, I am able to use VS 2015 to compile the C# sample and run it.

The strange thing is that "Full" mode works, it actually utilizes full range of the camera's depth range. The only issue is that it starts with full field of view - if only there is a way to limit it...

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I had a quick go on the 3D Scan sample. I only have a humble F200 camera and SDK R2, but I hoped that I'd get an insight into what might be happening with your installation anyway.

When I selected Face mode and started the camera, I got the same Unsupported message. This seemed odd to me, since I was running the all-in-one R2 SDK. I then found that if I ticked the facial sub-option 'Landmarks' instead of leaving all the tick boxes empty, the face scan worked fine.

Subsequent tests found that it expected 'Landmarks' to be ticked in order to work. You could then tick one of the options (Solid, Texture, etc) in addition to Landmarks and it still worked. Strangely, the Markers option didn't work. But 'Landmarks + Solid' or 'Landmarks + Texture' or 'Landmarks + Solid + Texture' did work.

0 Kudos
TXu7
Beginner

MartyG,

Thanks for testing it out. It turns out that my "Super Duper" SC300 behaves exactly the same as your " Humble" F200. I guess Landmarks turns on face feature tracking and makes it easier for segmentation - pure guess.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Glad that it worked for you. Good luck with the scanning!

0 Kudos