Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

How to turn off Intel Display Power Saving Technology?

SDelf
Beginner

Hi,

I've just recently bought a Dell Inspiron 7570 that sports an Intel Core i5-8250U (Intel UHD Graphics 620).

Unfortunately, it has the Intel Display Power Saving Technology turned on adjusting your brightness depending on what is displaying on the screen.

I would very much like to turn off this "feature" but didn't find out exactly how.

In the Graphics Panel, there is no option for this; I have also already tried to change registry values according to this thread: However, that didn't help neither.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
35 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SvDe,

I understand that you are having problems disabling the Intel ® Display Power Saving Technology, I apologize for any inconveniences.

Regarding this problem, I would first like to request screenshots of the control panel and the options available for you. Also, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Once I have this information I will be able to proceed accordingly and find the best way to help you with your issue.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
SDelf
Beginner

Hello David,

thanks for your reply.

Please find the information attached.

Thank you very much in advance for your support!

0 Kudos
SDelf
Beginner

Hi David,

sorry for the delay, here's the Control Panel screenshot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SvDe,

Thank you for your responses,

Could you please right-click on the desktop and select "Graphics Properties" and from there go to "Display" and then "Color Settings".

Once there, please take a screenshot and send it to me so I can analyze the options.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
SDelf
Beginner

Attached, you'll find the requested screenshot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SvDe,

Thank you for your response,

When you initially click on "Graphics Properties" you should have a section that says "Power". If this is the case then please go ahead and select that option. Right after that, please look for an option that says " Intel ® Power Saving Technology", there should be an option to either uncheck a box or else a "disable" option, go ahead and disable it. Make sure to apply the changes right after and then reboot the computer.

Let me know the outcome please.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
SDelf
Beginner

Hi David,

I've already attempted to do so but, unfortunately, there is no such option in the "power" section.

In the screenshot attached, you'll see the only option available to me: "Extended battery life for gaming", which I have already switched on and off and performed a reboot, without success.

I would be very grateful if you found a solution to this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SvDe,

If there is no option then I would like you to check and make sure that the adaptive light is not active under the Windows* 10 settings. Please refer to the screenshot attached for the steps of how to check that setting.

If this does not help then I would like you to check your laptop all around and see if there is an "ambient light" sensor with a button, normally when the option is gone it could be due to the OEM removing it due to those sensors.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
SDelf
Beginner

Hello David,

thanks again for the fast reply!

Unfortunately, the adaptive light option does not seem to be available with my laptop.

I could neither find an ambient light sensor.

Just to clarify that once more: The change in backlight and contrast does not depend on the lighting around me but rather on what type of content (bright/dark) is displayed on the screen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SvDe,

I would like to inform you that we are currently looking into this problem and finding the best solution for you, I apologize for not having an answer just yet, please allow us some time to do some testing and we will be getting back to you really soon.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
SDelf
Beginner

Hi David,

thanks for the update!

I hope to hear from you soon.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SvDe,

Thank you for patiently waiting,

In order to check more information about the system and how the issue can be fixed, I will like to request the information requested in the following link:

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

I need this information first in order to investigate a little more in depth about the current issue.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
SDelf
Beginner

Hi David,

attached, you'll find the requested information.

Occurrence:

always

Hardware:

Dell Inspiron 7570

Intel and Nvidia Graphics

Screen type: LFP

Software:

VBIOS: 9.0.1066

Configurations:

Both DC and AC

Would you please give me some feedback on whether this information is sufficient?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SvDe,

Thank you very much for the response,

We are going to proceed and research some about the problem and see if we can find the best way to help you with your problem. I will be getting back to you when we have more information.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
SDelf
Beginner

Hello David,

thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I'd also already done a clean install of Windows 10 in order to resolve the issue, but that didn't help either...

0 Kudos
HBadr1
Beginner

So, what's going on with this? I've been having this issue for 5 months now on my Acer Aspire 5. How hard is it to make sure that the option that exists when the laptop is on battery is there when it's plugged in? I've seen small fixes around the internet that have to do with modifying bit values within the registry, but it seems that after an update to my drivers, they no longer apply. Super disappointed with this and would love to understand why there is not a fix for this yet.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SvDe,

Thank you very much for patiently waiting,

I was researching about the problem and checked the different settings, however this feature has not been removed and it should be there in the Intel ® Graphics control panel. Since you mention that it is not then it is highly probable that Dell removed the feature, if they did then I recommend you to contact them and inquire to see if they have a way to activate it or else a way to enable that option.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
HBadr1
Beginner

Yeah, I highly doubt that Dell - and Acer, for their Aspire 5 series which I am having this issue with - just decided to entirely take out this feature. A quick call into my manufacturer confirms that it's on your end. Sorry to anyone else that comes into this thread looking for an answer! Just goes to show how much Intel is declining in quality.

0 Kudos
JPere33
Novice

It has been removed for "Plugged in" and I am using the latest drivers from Intel.

For ***Plugged In***, you only have the choices "Maximum Battery Life", "Balanced Mode", "Maximum Performance", nobody cares about battery life when plugged in.

Fire the guy who updated the HD Graphics Control Panel already. Or better still whoever came up with the stupid idea of adaptive brightness based on white areas showing on screen (and STUPIDLY making it even brighter when there are more white areas)

0 Kudos
JBeck12
Beginner

Geez, I've been screwing with drivers, settings, services etc since the win update took out my video card. Have the card functional finally and am now deling with "adaptive brightness" which can not be removed, altered, deleted or killed in cold blood. I've got too much in a previously fine running T420 with ssds and 16 gb of ram to bail unless Intel. Microsoft and Lenovo maKE ME GET A MAC THIS WEEKEND.

C'mon

someone help the end user.

0 Kudos