Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Dell XPS 9350 - AC 8260 Bluetooth Issue

KChir1
Beginner

Hello,

I just re-imaged my Dell XPS 9350 due to a security breach. I have installed Intel dual band wireless AC 8260 since last year. After the re-imaging the laptop, I installed the Windows 10 64-bit Bluetooth driver (BT_20.30.0_32_Win10) and Proset/Wireless Software and Drivers (WiFi_20.30.1_PROSet64_Win10). The system sees the network adapter but not the Bluetooth. I'm running Window 10 Pro version 1709 build 16299.248. I also use BitDefender 2018, GlassWire and Malwarebytes. Could the security tool(s) prevent the installation?

Thanks,

Kris

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello KrisC,

Thanks for posting in our communities. We understand that you're experiencing issues with Bluetooth* after re-imaging your system.

Anti-virus/malware software usually notifies you when an application or program installation was blocked and they shouldn't prevent Windows* from installing the inbox driver at least. However, you may temporarily disable them during the installation of Intel® Bluetooth* driver for testing.

We recommend performing a clean driver installation of both Bluetooth* and wireless in that order. You can find the instructions for a clean wireless driver installation here, but the same steps apply for Bluetooth*:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

Please let us know the results.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I will add a little more to Eugenio's information. There are Bluetooth issues in the Fall Creator's Update. As a result, before attempting to install the latest Bluetooth and PROSet Wireless packages, you should uninstall any previous instances of this package and, if the Microsoft driver remains attached to device, uninstall it as well. A reboot before reinstalling would also be appropriate.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
KChir1
Beginner

I followed Eugenio's instruction. I also downloaded a Dell 9350 AC-8260 driver from Dell support site. The installation didn't find the bluetooth device - before and after rebooting the laptop. I then downloaded Intel driver (BT_20.30.0_32_Win10) and it found the device and configured it correctly. Here is the challenge - once I rebooted the laptop, it no longer functions and gave an error "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)" and the device no longer functions. I have attached the screenshot as a reference.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

After seeing this error, have you tried running the Troubleshooter? It may not fix it but could give some additional information...

...S

0 Kudos
KChir1
Beginner

I ran troubleshoot and it couldn't identify the problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KrisC,

Thanks for your reply.

If error 19 keeps showing up at Device manager even after a clean driver installation, this suggests there's indeed a corruption on the registry.

Just to confirm if this is the case, please tey installing the inbox driver for Intel® Bluetooth. To do so, simply uninstall the Bluetooth* driver from Device Manager, uninstall Intel® Bluetooth* Software from Programs and Features and reboot. This will force Windows* to install the inbox driver.

If the issue persists, you may backup your data and run a DISM command with the check, scan and restore health options. However, the faster solution would be to reset Windows 10 again* using the recovery options:

- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image Windows 10* DISM Image Repair - Windows Central*

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Recovery options in Windows 10 - Microsoft*

Please let us know the results.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
KChir1
Beginner

Hi Eugenio,

I followed the steps - removed the bluetooth driver and uninstalled bluetooth application. Windows immediately installed a new driver and the bluetooth started to function. However, when I rebooted the laptop I got the same error message. I also ran DISM command with the check, scan and restore health options. No issues reported. Not sure if I want to pursue the "recovery options" since I literally just re-imaged the laptop last week (3/1). Everything functions correctly except bluetooth.

Thanks,

Kris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KrisC,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to review this thread with our engineers to confirm if there's any other troubleshooting we may recommend.

Before doing so, we need to check your system specifications. To do so, please download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Intel System Support Utility (SSU):

-Run the file

-Select "Everything" and hit scan

-After the scan, click on next

-Save the file in your system and name it as you want

- Attach the resulting txt file to your next reply

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
KChir1
Beginner

Hello Eugenio,

Attached please find the scan results.

Thanks for your help!

Kris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KrisC,

Thanks for providing the file.

We noticed that the first time you installed the driver provided by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer, you used file "9350_Network_Driver_5FF1P_WN32_18.32.0_A02".

This seems to be the installer for the wireless driver portion, but not Bluetooth* (which explains why it wasn't recognized). Now with your system details at hand, we found the OEM hosts a separate driver for the Bluetooth portion. It can be downloaded here:

- http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-13-9350-laptop/drivers Support for XPS 13 9350 - Driver and Downloads

Please make sure to change the operating system filter to Windows 10*, 64-bit and the category to "Network". The file is called "Intel 3160 7260 3165 7265 8260 8265 Bluetooth Driver, Version: 20.10.0.0 ,A02".

We recommend to uninstall the current Bluetooth driver and software (if still present) and remove temporary files before installation:

1. Press the Windows* key and R key simultaneously to open the run box.
  2. Type in: cleanmgr.exe and press the Enter key or OK.
  3. Place a check mark next to Temporary Files. You can leave everything else checked or unchecked.
  4. Press OK and wait.

Regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
KChir1
Beginner

Hello Eugenio,

I followed the instructions - the installation went well, it enabled the bluetooth. However, when I rebooted I got the same error. Here is the output from SSU run.

Thanks,

Kris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KrisC,

Thanks for taking the time to test the OEM driver.

At this point, a clean installation of the operating system seems like the best option. The last time you re-imaged the system, what process was followed?

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
KChir1
Beginner

Hi,

I followed the instruction from Dell support site - Reinstall Windows 10 to the Dell factory image using restart button.

Thanks for your help!

Kris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KrisC,

We're here to help. Please let us know how it goes after a clean operating system installation.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KrisC

Did you have the chance to reinstall the operating system? If so, did that solve the issue?

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
KChir1
Beginner

Hello Eugenio,

My apologies for the delay. I found the issue. When I re-imaged the laptop the Broadcom wireless driver (original equipment) was also installed. Once I removed this driver everything is working now.

Thanks,

Kris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello KrisC,

Thanks for sharing the solution. It is good to know your system is now able to detect the Bluetooth adapter.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos