Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

S2600CP4 board w/E5-26XX v2 Processors and PCIe Bus configuration.

idata
Employee

Good evening,

Just wanted to verify before I purchase, that if I use E5-26xx v2 processors in a S2600CP4 that I can "adjust" a PCIe bus speed. I have a card that has a PCIe 3 bus, however the board has "throttled" that to PCIe 2.

Thanks much

Ray

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Here's the update, with the installation of E5-26xx V2 processors, and rerunning of the firmware updates, there is now a spot in the bios to "adjust" the PCIe speed.

It would have been nice if the V1 processors had the same option.

Ray

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Ray,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

I understand that you want to confirm that the Intel(R) Server Board S2600CP4 with an Intel(R) E5-26xx v2 CPU and adjust the PCIe bus speed, as the PCIe card you are using was throttle down to Gen2 and it is a Gen3 card. Can you please indicate what is that card you installed on this Server Board?

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel(R) Technical Support.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Good morning,

My intention was to use an Adaptec RAID 8885 RAID controller. In past experience, the board has throttled the interface to PCIe 2.0

Thanks

Ray

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your update.

I will investigate this issue and get back to you as soon as possible with information. Have you tried a different RAID controller brand to discard this issue?

regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel(R) Technical Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ray,

According to the document you attached to the post, there are only few Adaptec RAID controller that can be used on this server board. The one you are using( Adaptec RAID 8885 RAID controller) is not listed. You can confirm this information https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007457/server-products.html here.

I suggest using a different RAID controller listed from the document mentioned above.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If I am reading the attached document correctly, with E5-26xx v2 processors, the PCIe bus will run at full speed, but there will be an area in bios that I can throttle it down. Am I reading that correctly?

If I am using E5-26xx v1 processors, the choice in bios is not there and the PCIe slot with the "unsupported card" will be throttled to 2.0, correct?

Thanks

Ray

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ray,

That is correct.

You can verify the current BIOS on this server board. The latest BIOS posted is 02.06.0006, you can downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=S2600CP4 here. If you are not seen the option in the BIOS to manually change the link speed you can try updating the BIOS and check for the option mentioned in the document after updating it.

Please let me know your results.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ray,

I hope you are doing well today.

I'm following up with you to see if the information provide helped or if there is anything else we can help with. More than glad to continue assisting you.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Here's the update, with the installation of E5-26xx V2 processors, and rerunning of the firmware updates, there is now a spot in the bios to "adjust" the PCIe speed.

It would have been nice if the V1 processors had the same option.

Ray

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your update. I'm glad to know that by updating the BIOS you were to get the option to change the PCIe speed. I will your feedback to our engineers. Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with or if we can proceed in closing this case.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos