Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Intel core i3 have 2 cores and 2 thread per core, so what does 2 thread means in each core?

idata
Employee

intel_admin

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Thread of execution, is a software term for the basic ordered sequence of instructions that can be passed through or processed by a single CPU core.

Allan.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Thread of execution, is a software term for the basic ordered sequence of instructions that can be passed through or processed by a single CPU core.

Allan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

But at a particular time one core of the CPU can execute one instruction. Since intel core i3 have 2 core so maximum two instruction or thread can be executed(in each core one). So how come 2 thread in each core. It should be one thread per core. Sir, please explain it briefly. I am eager to know about this as I am a engineer student. So many time this doubt came to me and I searched in the Internet but i didn't got the appropriate answer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is there a particular processor model number you could provide to us?

Allan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

There are numerous generations of Core based CPUS, But the Core I3 is a 2 core processor from a hardware point of view on the die. The second thread comes from Intel's HT technology. Hyper Threading is a logical core. Processors that support this can do 1 extra execution per clock per core. Processors that support HT which most should now, will reflect that in the max threads section in the ARK.

Here is a quick example, i have a core 2 quad Q6600. It's a 4 core, 4 thread chip. 1 execution unit per core. My processor does not support Intel HT. So the most execution units or processes i can run in an application is 4 threads.

The Core I3 (variant depending) is a 2 core CPU. 2 core, 4 thread chip. Intel HT essentially doubles your work execution load for each core of the CPU used based on the application you run.

A good rule of the numb now, until some new tech hits the block. For each additional core you have, you can do 2 more execution units for data processing work loads. (1 per core, +1 from Intel HT)= 2 threads.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you sir. I got it. So it means due to Hyper threading the core i3 with 2 core can run 4 thread of a process in execution unit or clock cycle. Thanks many many.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, that is correct. Thanks for sharing this information.

Allan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I understand the meaning of thread, but at a particular time only one thread can execute in one core so at most 2 thread can execute at particular moment.Then why 4 thread is mentioned in official website of intel ( http://ark.intel.com/products/53438/Intel-Core-i3-2350M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_30-GHz http://ark.intel.com/products/53438/Intel-Core-i3-2350M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_30-GHz ) .My processor model is Intel® Core™ i3-2350M Processor(3M Cache, 2.30 GHz).

0 Kudos