Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

INTEL dual band wireless-AC 8260. Does it support to create a wifi hotspot?

NMinh2
Beginner

I've got a laptop: asus GL552VX-DM143D, wifi card: INTEL dual band wireless-AC 8260.

But I can't create a wifi hotspot. Does it support to create a wifi hotspot?

Thanks for your time

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

jayming90,

The Intel® Wireless Adapters were not designed to be used as a hotspot.

NMinh2
Beginner

aleki_intel: Thank you so much

So it is a hardware problem that this adapter doesn't support for create a wifi hosted network? Right?

Can I waiting for a updated driver to support wifi hosted network in the future?!

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

jayming90,

Regrettably we do not have any information if this will ever be available for Intel® Wireless Adapters. One tool you can use and check at your earliest conveniece is this one: http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59484/Intel-Wi-Fi-Products Intel® Wi-Fi Products any new release will be shown there and by clicking on the wireless adapter name you will be able to see all specifications.

0 Kudos
DHeal3
Beginner

jayming90,

I think that you are asking one question, and Intel are answering another.

The AC 8260 does support acting as a soft-AP. This is clearly stated on the 8260's data sheet: "...Support simultaneous Client and SoftAP modes".

However, the card cannot operate as a Wi-Fi hotspot without additional software functionality provided by both the operating system (e.g. Windows 7, 8.1, 10) and third party applications (e.g. Connectify).

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

dh29 and jayming90

Please bear in mind that the Intel® Wireless Adapters were not designed to be used as hotspots so there is no guarantee it will work even if using third-party products.

0 Kudos
DHeal3
Beginner

aleki_intel and jayming90

There is no 'guarantee' that any 3rd party app will work with Intel products, but Intel are stating that the card can be used as a soft-AccessPoint, as clearly stated on their datasheet. This is a fundamental requirement in order to be able to provide the capability of a hot-spot. I fully appreciate that you are making it clear that Intel do not specifically provide any 'hot-spot' capability or support for it.

0 Kudos