Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

How do I recover a corrupt bios after a firmware update on a Intel S2600IP ?

RSTON2
Beginner

Hi all, I'm very much new here. I had acquired a nice intel server that has a S2600IP... for days i've been trying to install an operating system on this and ran into very slow installations of windows. Everything is practically brand new on this server as it was sitting around for a few years. It worked fine until I tried to install the recent Firmware update using a EFI update method... everything was successful until after it shut down... Now I have no video and nothing happens. I can tell the bios speaker is making a noise that reoccures at a decent pace. I tried to do the BIOS Recovery jumper trick and I still don't get any video output whatsoever. I did download the proper files to the USB stick too and for whatever reason, this machine doesn't display anything. Just a constant faint beeping noise coming from the BIOS speaker. All the start up lights on the board appear in normal operating order. Is there something I'm missing here?

Thank you guys in advanced.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi,

According to the information provided, the BIOS seems to be corrupted indeed after the firmware update you did. We recommend disconnecting the power cable and pressing the power button for 10 seconds to fully power cycle the system. Once this is done, take out the CMOS battery for one minute or move the CMOS jumper to clear it, reconnect the power cable, CMOS battery and try to boot up the system. If the issue still remains, we suggest replacing the board under warranty.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

According to the information provided, the BIOS seems to be corrupted indeed after the firmware update you did. We recommend disconnecting the power cable and pressing the power button for 10 seconds to fully power cycle the system. Once this is done, take out the CMOS battery for one minute or move the CMOS jumper to clear it, reconnect the power cable, CMOS battery and try to boot up the system. If the issue still remains, we suggest replacing the board under warranty.

RSTON2
Beginner

Thanks Dan.

I'll give that a shot when I get home. I'm wondering if it's because it's a engineering sample. I work at an IT distributor who sells Intel Products and I was given this server for testing. It's an amazing server however I'm extremely disappointed with this firmware update bricking the unit. Do you think this engineering sample actually has a warranty still?

Also one of these guys I work with mentioned that I should try using a Low profile / Low Power video card ( PCIe 16x ) to see if I can get any video output. When I tried to do the BIOS Recovery trick with the jumper, I can't tell if there's anything happening on the system. I'd imagine I should at least see some sort of video output when in recovery mode.

0 Kudos
RSTON2
Beginner

Hey Dan,

one more question. I was reading this manual: http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/g34153004_s2600ip_w2600cr_tps_rev14.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/g34153004_s2600ip_w2600cr_tps_rev14.pdf

And it states that Jumper J1F2 : BIOS Recovery is normally defaulted for 1-2 pins for normal operation. It says for pins 2-3 "the main system BIOS does not boot with pins 2-3 connected. The system only boots from EFI-bootable recovery media with a recovery BIOS image present."

Does this mean I need to leave the jumper off altogether when performing a BIOS recovery?

Thanks again!

Rob S.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi again Rob,

To answer your question, have the jumper in pins 2-3 with the recovery media installed in order to start the update. We also would like to inform you that the assistance we provide is for boxed products so there is a chance that the hardware is different on your engineering sample board.

0 Kudos