Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4400 problems and glitches on Windows 10

SStef5
Novice

Hello there,

I'm currently using Windows 10 Pro x64 (Build 10240) with the latest Intel HD Driver for my Intel HD Graphics 4400 (10.18.15.4256 on driver manager, 15.40.4.64.4256 on Intel Update Tool) at work as a test-user here but I'm experiencing some weird graphical issues with my machine (Lenovo M93).

As example when using one of our ticket tools there are random graphical glitches in the program itself and random driver crashes. Never happened on Windows 7 before.

Another thing is the start menu being weird when listing all programs, see the pictures here:

As you see the start menu is behaving extremely weird, one time being darker, then too light to read anything at all on the list. It's really annoying so far.

One time, about a week ago, I even got a bluescreen because the driver failed to recover. But that's not common at all, only happened this one time for now.

I hope you guys can help me, would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Added some information about my machine

10 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello EpicLPer,

There is a new graphics driver in our site, please go head and give it a try https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/25274/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10?httpDown=https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25274/eng/win64_15407.4279.exe win64_15407.4279.exe.

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy

WAbey
Beginner

Having the same problem. Installed latest drivers. First checked my laptop specific 4400 drivers from dell. And then this generic driver from Intel. But all the new metro style apps are blurry. This may not be a problem with windows as when I try without drivers, they are rendered properly. P.S.: Driver 15.40.7.4279, 64-bit for Windows 10.

SStef5
Novice

The Problem persists with the latest driver link posted here.

Also the Intel Updater Program does not yet have this version to download and still only offers the one I originally posted here.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

It's unfortunate that you still have this issue, according to the new driver release the graphics corruption on Metro app should have been fixed.

I would like to perform a research on your case, so please, go ahead fill out this form and post it on the same post(here), .

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
SStef5
Novice

Hello again,

Weird enough the problem fixed itself after a few reboots and everything seems to look normal again after the latest driver posted here. Not sure why after some reboots first tho but hey, at least it worked

Thanks for the fix!

Greetings,

Stefan K.

0 Kudos
glussier
New Contributor I

I had this exact same problem after the upgrade to windows 10. So, I decided to do a clean install, not from recovery in windows 10, but with the iso downloaded from the Microsoft website. Imaged my current windows 10 installation and proceeded to install windows 10 on a clean slate. The problem was solved.

Since I have a lot of programs installed, and didn't feel like reinstalling everything, I decided to recover my windows 10 upgrade and search for the problem. After some time, I decided to look in Control panel/Programs and features and low and behold, I see to instances of the intel drivers (normally we don't see the graphics drivers showing there). I uninstalled both instances of the graphic driver, restarted my computer and the problem was solved.

ASchw8
Beginner

A lot of people have been having problems when upgrading to windows 10. I have a Lenovo laptop with Intel HD 4000 graphics which was having problems. I could not adjust the screen brightness above the minimum. The brightness setting could be changed, but the screen didn't actually get any brighter. I have fixed this issue for now.

After searching, I found a lot of people were having the same problem with their Intel graphics driver not being compatible with Windows 10. I downloaded the Intel Driver Update Utility and used it to download the latest graphics driver for Intel HD 4000 for 64 bit computers on Windows 10. THIS DID NOT SOLVE THE ISSUE. It seems the latest Intel graphics driver is not completely compatible with Windows 10.

I went to my devices screen and found my list of installed drivers. Under my display drivers is listed Intel(R) HD 4000 graphics driver. I left-clicked and clicked update driver. Then, I selected to manually select the update to install. From there, I selected the option to "choose driver update from a list" or something to that effect. A box showed listing Intel HD 4000 graphics driver and a default Windows graphics driver. I selected to install the windows default driver, the other option. After a short installation, my screen brightened. Perfect.

I don't know how this will affect my graphics capabilities, as I assume I have disabled the Intel driver in favor of the default windows one. However, I can now see my screen without having to squint from three inches away.

Hopefully, Intel will fix this problem with their driver soon, although, there were no listed incompatibility issues with the current update and Windows 10.

0 Kudos
DDrai
Beginner

Having the same issue on my Surface Pro 3 with i5 4300U cpu 4400 HD graphics on windows 10. the problem isn't there when installing the Microsoft's Intel HD Graphics, it only happens with Intel's drivers, and I'm talking about all intel's drivers since january 2015... now I'm on 20.19.15.4285 driver and it's always here!! 😕

0 Kudos
JReyn7
New Contributor I

Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 ( Brightness fix with latest driver)

Brightness Fix with Driver Date 8/17/2015 )

Brightness problem Solved

Intel HD Graphics 4000 with NVIDIA® GeForce® GT650M graphics.

Install:

Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver, Driver Date: 8/17/2015

Driver Version: 10.18.10.4276

Make sure you backup your registry first before proceeding!!!!

open regedit in Run Command

Registry has wrong value:

Currently reads as :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000] "FeatureTestControl"=

"Edit DWORD 32 bit"= f000

Registry with New Value:

You needed to change the value in registry to: ( f008 )

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000] "FeatureTestControl"=

"Edit DWORD 32 bit"= f008

Then Restart Computer

Brightness Fixed with Latest driver.

Let me know if this was helpful to you

mailto:jrreyn02@outlook.com jrreyn02@outlook.com

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

JohnRoss2113 thank you for sharing your outcome, let's hope that this information can be helpful for other users in the community.

Regards.

0 Kudos