Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

iRST 15.8.1.1007 erroneously gives SMART warning notification, tools report no SMART information for RAID

JHami6
Beginner

This is a RAID 0 of 2 Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD.

The iRST 15.8.1.1007 driver in Windows 10 erroneously gives a SMART warning notification:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Your system is reporting one or more warnings, and data may be at risk.

Open the application for details.

iRST UI (IAStorUI) reports SATA_Array_0000 PCIe SSD on Controller 1, Port 0: At risk (SMART event) but gives no details. It really ought to provide details... CrystalDiskInfo does not recognize the iRST RAID at all, and I think it's supposed to (via CSMI?). CrystalDiskInfo does recognize the lone Samsung 960 EVO 1TB that is also in the system (and reports good health), which is to be expected.

I am unable to use Samsung Magician to check status with the RAID turned on but if I disable it, boot linux from a USB drive, and check the SMART status both drives are 100% health, no errors. The warning is erroneous and I think it may just be a reflection of the RST driver not correctly obtaining any SMART information. I think this is a bug or deficiency in RST but maybe it is a firmware problem on the drives? I have not updated the drive firmware because they are my boot drive and I don't have an easy way to boot Windows with the RAID disabled, which is necessary for using the Samsung software to update the firmware.

I am reluctant to go through the process of making an alternate Windows boot drive to update the drive firmware on the off chance it will work because: 1) I know the warning is incorrect, the drives are fine 2) updating the firmware might not fix it if there is an incompatibility with the Samsung 950 Pro in particular 3) it might be a problem with RST itself regardless which drives are used.

On the other hand it would be nice if CrystalDiskInfo reported usable SMART data on the RAID, and if I had some indication that this is supposed to be working I would put more time into it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas? Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I believe AIDA64 has support for extracting S.M.A.R.T. data from the physical drives included in RAID arrays.

...S

0 Kudos