Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

HD graphics control panel keeps showing old display instead of new one

RRenn3
Beginner

hi there

I use Intel HD Graphics 515 driver version 22.20.16.4799 on windows 10 pro version 1709

In the past my second monitor was a Sony SDM-HS95P but I replaced it with HD a dell U2312HM.

The Graphics Control Panel can't find this new monitor and I can't delete the old Sony display in the control panel.

So my resolution is 1280x1024 maximum but the dell monitor is 1920 x 1080

Does anyone know how to get rid off old settings in the Graphics Control Panel ?

Regards

Ronald

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Loading the INF file for this new monitor should help. I see that one is available on Dell's web site (it is described as being a "driver" package).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
RRenn3
Beginner

hi Scott

Thanks for your message.

I have already tried to load the .inf file but windows complains about a missing digital signature.

There is no official windows 10 driver for this monitor (8.1 exists).

For some reason windows identifies the new dell monitor as the old Sony device.

Removing the device and driver does not help either.

Windows automatically installs the Generic PnP monitor driver and shows SDM-HS95P (Sony) in the devices list.

kind regards

Ronald

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Good old Dell...

What happens if you have the Sony connected and you disconnect and replace with the Dell? (Or is this what you have been doing?)

What happens if you power up the NUC with the Dell in place?

In Windows, if you right-click on the screen, select Screen Resolution and then click on Detect, does it make a difference? (Check for differences by choices made available in Resolution drop-down box)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Oops, label is "Display Settings" in Win10; "Screen Resolution" was label in Win7.

0 Kudos
RRenn3
Beginner

Hi Scott

Unfortunately some internal it person took my monitor and I guess I'll never see it again.

I use a dell latitude 7370 with a dell dock WD15.

No problem using 1 monitor on a display port (windows automatically set the correct driver) but 1 monitor with VGA gives max. resolution of 1280 x 1024.

My colleague has the same hardware (except his primary display is different).

He has a working U2312.icm (analog VGA) driver with 1920 x 1080 resolution.

The detect function shows "Didn't detect another display"

I wish I could find out why my device manager can't let go the old Sony display...

Regards

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In my experience, there are (still) lots of DVI- and VGA-based monitors still around - including some from Dell that have been mentioned in similar discussions here (though I don't remember the model numbers, sorry) - that do not properly respond to requests to return their EDID data. If this is the case, you will be stuck with only those resolutions matching the 4:3 (i.e. square, no 16:9) aspect ratio and a default resolution of 1280 x 1024 pixels. Only installing/loading the monitor's INF file (as the default) will alleviate this situation (and then only until you move on to the next crappy monitor (Oops, sorry Dell)).

Further, it is no surprise to me that, in this case, the Sony information remains in place (it's the known default, after all).

Sorry to see the pain that this is causing,

...S

0 Kudos
RRenn3
Beginner

Thanks for your help Scott.

I really appreciate it.

0 Kudos