Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 extremely slow (Lenovo Yoga S1)

WWebs
Beginner

I've search through every topic regarding the DB AC-7260 and slow speeds and nothing has been of any help to me. My laptop is a Lenovo Yoga S1. I have AT&T gigabit service and can only get around 25 down and 10 up (FWIW, ping response is excellent at 1ms). Sitting in the same location, my Nexus 5X gets over 300 both up and down so I know there's no issue with the AT&T service or router itself.

I've tried all the following and none result in any difference whatsover:

1. Disabling bluetooth (currently enabled)

2. Preferred Band - tried all settings (currently 1. No Preference)

3. HT Mode - tried all settings (currently VHT mode)

4. Roaming Agressiveness - tried all settings (currently 1. Lowest)

5. Wireless Mode - tried all setting (currently 6. 802.11a/b/g)

I'm on driver version 18.33.3.2 (05/03/2016) and on the most current BIOS for my PC. I'm afraid I'm stuck with this horrible performing wireless card making gigabit service pretty pointless for it.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

webwarmiller,

In order to enjoy gigabit through WiFi*, not only the router must have this technology but, also the wireless adapter, regardless of the brand, must be compliant with Wave 2 features of the 802.11ac specification.

However, it is important to consider sources of interference (microwave oven, cordless phone, wireless speakers, metal, poorly wired satellite dish, other wireless devices and also other networks in a close proximity may detract from each other's performance) that may impact the performance of the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.

Please bear in mind that matching the AC specification does not mean matching the promised performance. Your unique conditions will certainly make a difference . Confirm if you router is Wave 2 ready. If it is, you may want to learn about http://www.wi-fi.org/news-events/newsroom/wi-fi-certified-ac-brings-new-advances-in-wi-fi-performance MU-MIMO, this development has a noticeable positive impact on the WiFi* making the network much more efficient.

If you are using Windows®10, you might want to take a look at one of its features regarding updates. It is called https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10-windows-update-delivery-optimization Windows Update Delivery Optimization or WUDO which is initially designed to help users get faster software updates but uses a lot of bandwidth.

WUDO works a lot like torrents work. Your computer running Windows®10 is used as part of a peer-to-peer network to deliver software updates faster to others, each person distributing a little bit of the files across multiple computers and helping everyone download updates quickly.

Please, disable this feature if you have this OS installed and test your connection. Here is how you can do it:

1. Go to Settings in the Start menu

2. Search for Update & Security

3. Under Windows Update, open Advanced Options

4. Under Choose How Updates are Installed, select Choose how updates are delivered

5. Disable the toggle under Updated from More than One Place

Please, let us know if these tips helped you resolve this situation as this can also help to narrow down the cause of the low performance.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
WWebs
Beginner

Aleki,

I disabled WUDO and restarted the PC. Absolutely no difference in wireless speeds. All other devices in my house are able to pull over 300mbps up/down from the same location as this particular device. Android devices, Apple devices, Chromebooks, and other Win10 PC's. I've tried safe mode with networking to test as well and the results are the same. FWIW, a wired ethernet connection on the PC is able to pull over 900mbps.

Webster

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello webwarmiller,

Please try the following actions:

- In Device Manager, go to the properties of the AC 7260, in the advanced settings set the following:

Throughput enhancement: Disabled

u-APSD Support: Disabled

- Update the Firmware of you wireless router.

Check the QOS settings of your wireless network, here are some options that may cause performance issues:

- Make sure to Enable WMM.

- Verify that access control is disabled.

- Confirm dynamic QOS is disabled. Or, make sure that your AC 7260 is set to high priority.

For additional assistance, provide the following:

- Wireless Access Point model and firmware version.

- Download and run https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility, then use the tool to create a full report, save the file and attach it to the thread using the Advanced Editor.

- Was this the adapter that came built from factory with your PC?
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

webwarmiller,

We haven't heard from you in a while so we would like to know if the latest step we sent helped you to resolve this situation.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
BDyrd1
Beginner

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with the DB N-7260. Had the same problem previously on windows 8, but after the update to windows 10, the problem went away. But after i formatted the computer and reinstalled windows 10, the slow internet speed came back.. Have tried several different drivers and settings, but still no improvement...

Frustrating that Intel still hasn't resolved an issue that has lasted for 3 years!

- Bent Martin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

bentmartin,

What driver version do you currently have installed?

Is your Intel® Wireless adapter the one installed by factory?

best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
BDyrd1
Beginner

Hi,

Currently the driver version is, 18.33.3.2. Downloaded the 19.1 Proset64 for windows 10(latest). Have also tried 18.21.0, 18.20.0, 18.12 and the original by windows 17.15.

The wireless adapter is the original, as installed by acer.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bentmartin,

There are many factors as to why slow speeds can occur. In order to help you further, we need to collect more information on the environment. Please provide us as much details as possible.

When did this situation start?

In which circumstances you notice it is slow?

Do you remember if there ware any changes in the system/OS that could impact the speed?

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bentmartin,

We haven't heard from you in a while so we would like to know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos