Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4871 Discussions

Bad Reset on I217 Linux Driver

MMike13
Beginner

I have a Dell Optiplex 9020 with an Intel i7-4790 processor and 32GB RAM. It is set up with dual-boot Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise and Ubuntu 16.04 Linux.

If I start from power-down and boot into Linux, the I217-LM Ethernet chip works fine. Same if I boot Windows. But if I have booted into Windows and then reboot into Linux without powering-down, the Ethernet does not work. Linux is never able to connect to the network and get an IP address by using DHCP. In the upper-right corner of the screen there is an icon which spins around, showing that it is trying to connect. If I give the command "sudo dhclient -v eno1", I get this output:

Listening on LPF/eno1/98:90:96:db:2b:49

Sending on LPF/eno1/98:90:96:db:2b:49

Sending on Socket/fallback

DHCPDISCOVER on eno1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3 (xid=0xaeaac17)

DHCPDISCOVER on eno1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4 (xid=0xaeaac17)

This repeats until I type ctrl-C to kill the program.

If I reboot into Windows, the Ethernet works again. So it appears to me that at boot the Linux driver is not properly resetting the chip if it has already been used, but powering down does reset it. And, the Windows driver seems to set the chip correctly.

This problem occurred with the version 3.3.2 e1000e driver which came with Ubuntu. I downloaded and installed 3.3.4 from the Intel Web site, and it has the same problem. I did some Googling and it appears that others have seen this behavior for a while, but I don't know if it has ever been reported to Intel.

Thanks for looking into this.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Ciarldi,

Thank you for posting your query in Wired Ethernet community.

you can try out the latest e1000e driver version 3.3.5 from the link below:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/e1000e%20stable/

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
MMike13
Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply. I have downloaded and installed 3.3.5 and still have the same problem.

A clarification: Shutting down the machine from the OS is sufficient to reset the chip. I do not have to unplug the power supply or anything like that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ciarldi,

In case you don't need wake on LAN capability in Windows, please try to disable them and check if it help in your issue.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ciarldi,

We'd like to check if you still need assistance regarding I217.

Thanks,

Vince

0 Kudos