Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Intel XTU Memory Settings - Wrong timings in XTU after first reboot, reset after second one

DBerg4
Beginner

Hi, I think I've found a bug in XTU Memory settings, at least on my Clevo W740SU. (XTU software is supplied by Manufacturer)

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1-Install XTU, reboot, timings are correctly read

2-Set new ram multiplier and / or new timings, apply, reboot

3-Boot successfully and system is stable, new ram speed and timings are correctly displayed on any Hardware info tool like cpu-z, but instead XTU now miss some timings and the others are completely wrong.

4- after another reboot laptop fail to boot and automatically reset speed and timings.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Checking the information about your laptop I was able to find out that it comes with the Intel® Core™ i7-4750HQ processor. This processor supports DDR3L 1333Mhz and 1600 MHz memory type.

The behavior you are experiencing with the XTU could be because the CPU does not support the settings you are changing on the memory.

Even though you change the RAM to a higher speed memory, it is still out of specifications and it is not supported.

Even though Intel makes unlocked and Extreme Series processors that are robust enough to handle customizations, Intel doesn't recommend over clocking any of their internal components (memory, video or CPU) and there is no warranty support for that practice.

Using memory out of specifications will decrease the lifetime of the processor and it could generate processor damage.

If you still want to change the memory settings, try to do it manually on BIOS. Since this is an OEM product, I cannot assure you this will be possible.

Sometimes, the laptop manufactured disable some features or setting on BIOS.

0 Kudos