Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Ghost network adapters in Server 2012

JWond
Beginner

I have a P4208CP4MHGC server with a S2600CP4 motherboard with 4 I350 nic ports. I have also installed an I350T4BLK server adapter with 4 ports.

It's running Server 2012 Std. edition with the Hyper-V role.

Before I set the binding order of the nics, I was having trouble with it shuffling them when rebooted. This created new adapters Ethernet 9-16, leaving my original named adapters as ghost in Device Manager when viewing Hidden devices. I cannot uninstall these ghost adapters. I found this MS KB article that describes my problem, but it doesn't work. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269155 Error message when you try to set an IP address on a network adapter

When I try to uninstall them, it acts like it's doing it, but after it refreshes the page, they are still there. Rebooting didn't help either.

Any ideas on how to get rid of them?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Maybe you can try to search for the hardware ID in the registry.

JWond
Beginner

I found the reason I couldn't remove them was because of the permissions in the registry. I tried changing them, but they wouldn't propagate down through the sub keys. It was a big PIA to go through each subkey and take ownership and then change permissions.

In the end, I removed the network card, disabled the onboard nic, and then when I booted up, I was able to easily delete the phantom nics in Device Manager.

0 Kudos