Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Cannot get native resolution - Intel Graphics Driver 530 on i5-6400.

idata
Employee

I have an Acer desktop:

i5-6400

Intel Graphics 530

16GB RAM

two HDMI ports

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I am using the intel graphics driver version 23.20.16.4849, dated October 27, 2017.

Until recently, I had been using an ASUS monitor 22" at 1920x1200. Everything was ok.

I bought a larger monitor (HP ZR30w, 30", native resolution 2560x1600.)

The intel graphics driver detected the new monitor. However, the max resolution I can choose is only 1280x800.

I tried custom resolution in Intel Graphics utility to change to 2560x1600, but it gave me the notorious "custom resolution exceeds the available bandwidth capacity"

even when I tried the 1920x1200 resolution, which was working perfectly fine on the older monitor, I received the same error.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

According to https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02159509 HP ZR30w 30-inch S-IPS LCD Monitor - Specifications | HP® Customer Support your monitor has no HDMI port, but the Acer desktop has only HDMI ports?

You are probably using an incompatible adapter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your reply Stefan3D. I should have mentioned that. I use a Dual Link DVI-D adapter with my HDMI cable. I made sure the adapter is dual-link. I also tried with a different DVI monitor a 24" Dell LCD from a friend. This monitor has native resolution of 1920x1200. This time, my Intel Graphics panel showed resolutions up to 1920x1200. But when I re-connected the HP monitor, it was back to only 1280x800.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Intel Graphics Controllers do not support DVI Dual link connecters/adapters/dongles.

source:

Try a HDMI-DP adapter, start at 3 Euros on ebay

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Stefan3D, thank you for the suggestion about going the DP way instead of DVI. Unfortunately it did not work, but here are details.

It turns out most (almost all) HDMI-DP adapters are the reverse of what I need. They all help connect a DP source to a HDMI display. You are right, there are dozens of these available on eBay and Amazon for less than 5 USD.

However, they all mention that they are not bidirectional, and WILL NOT work if the source is HDMI and display is DP (which is my case).

After a lot of digging, I found one (yes, only one) such adapter on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BXMOREI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Amazon.com: gofanco 4K x 2K HDMI to DisplayPort Converter Adapter with USB Power for HDMI equipped systems to connect to…

Here is the link above. It was a lot more expensive than the HDMI-DP adapters I mentioned earlier. But it clearly said that this adapter is for HDMI PC and DP monitor. It also has USB power to make it "active" So I ordered it.

Unfortunately, the result is the same as before. Intel Graphics recognizes the monitor correctly, but I still only get 1280x800 resolution.

I read somewhere that the wrong HDMI cable might be a problem. But in this case that is not the issue because the adapter comes with its own HDMI connection and cable.

Strangely, I tried the same setup (i.e. my new adapter and DP monitor) with a colleague's computer who had an HDMI card (nVidia GTX 650). This time, we could see all resolutions and set the monitor to 2560x1600, it's native resolution.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos