Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

I'm having HDR issues with windows update 1709

mhinc
Beginner

Seems that there is a lot of people clambering over the windows update 1709 with NVidia cards but I don't see anyone using integrated windows with the colors being washed out with integrated intel graphics so I'm hoping there is a fix for my issue. I have 4k hdr tv, high speed 18k hdmi cable. z370 Asrock fatality board. i3 8100 intel processor using integrated graphics. sfx turned on in the bios. Here is the issue

When I update to 1709 update from Microsoft The colors on my Samsung ks8000 tv are washed out. Oranges are really red and so on. When I turn on the hdr Support button in windows settings the colors come back however it is really faded and distant like (Hard to explain) But the screen is reallu hard to see although the colors are no longer washed out. I can fix the issue by turning off the hdr color support for my tv however, I can no longer play hdr content (From my hdr player)on my computer. Kind of defeats the purpose of building a htpc with these capabilities. Seems like Ive wasted time and money. I have been in contact with Microsoft and they cant really see what is going on with my tv through online support so they change settings and make things worse. I reset the computer back to the previous update and everything works again. Does anyone have any incite to this issue? I would like to know that I'm not the only one that has complained since they said if enough people complain about this they will look into it. I'm sure they are blaming intel and NVidia for their drivers. Thanks in advance for any replys

Id be happy to give more info if needed

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello MichaelHin,

Thank you for joining the Graphics Community. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this matter.

We would like to collect more information regarding your system, please provide the following information:

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
mhinc
Beginner

Attached is my info. However, I have since went back to the old windows right before the 1709 creators update.

I just read the intel hdr report and it stated that the grayed out desktop is normal for Non HDR content. Is this true? If so this is definitely not a good look.

I read some of this and it looks like this may be necessary look of non hdr content. This is definitely something I would invest in. It hurts my eyes while looking at the screen

Here is the link to what I read below. Please me know your thoughts.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025998/graphics-drivers.html High Dynamic Range (HDR) Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/119518 MichaelHin, thank you for this information.

Please let me review this matter, I will update the thread with more information for this as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
mhinc
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/119518 MichaelHin,

As you mentioned before and also stated in our High Dynamic Range (HDR) Support documentation, the behavior you are experiencing is normal and expected while using this feature.

Hope that our document clarified this matter, and if you have more questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
mhinc
Beginner

Undrstood.

However the colors will get all skewed out of wack and the desktop pic gets distorted at reboot or coming out of sleep modes.

I either have to disconnect the hdmi cord to get it back to normal or chage the hdr switch on/off again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/119518 MichaelHin, let me double check this behavior.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
mhinc
Beginner

Also the taskbar gets squished coming out of sleep mode. If i change the resolution and change it back it seems to get it back to normal.

0 Kudos
mhinc
Beginner

This was fixed by intel drivers and keeping resolutions settings om recommended.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for this information /thread/119518 MichaelHin. I am glad to hear this!

I was about to request more information since I was not able to replicate the exact behavior.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos