Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14508 Discussions

LLC Misses after using CAT on Intel XEON D-1541

KKush
Novice

Hello Team,

I am trying out some experiments related to cache allocation technology on Intel XEON D-1541 (Broadwell microarchitecture).

As part of experiments I am first allocating full cache (12MB - Default configuration) and reading some amount of data from the memory and In the immediate next iteration I am again reading data from the same memory address with specific size as described in below table. Also, I have disabled all type of prefetcher from BIOS and I am setting 0x0041412E value to the IA32_PERFEVTSELx register.

After performing memory transaction I am reading LONGEST_LAT_CACHE.MISS performance monitoring counter (Event Num: 2EH, UMASK:41H) and also IA32_QM_CTR register with Event ID-2. I am getting data as shown below:

First IterationImmediate second IterationLLC_MISS Value after second iterationIA32_QM_CTR value after second iteration12MB12MB196000 Bytes012MB11MB180220 Bytes0

If we see theoretically, I am getting correct value (0) from the IA32_QM_CTR register since I am not accessing any memory from the main memory and I am accessing all the data from cache.

I am expecting similar result from the LLC_MISS performance monitoring counter also but I am getting approximately (total transaction size/64) as result from the performance monitoring counter which indicates I am accessing all the data from the main memory.

Why these two results are different? Do I have to make any additional configurations for the LLC_MISS performance counter?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello KHTS,

Thank you for joining the Processors Community.

Please let me review this matter, I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
KKush
Novice

Thanks Amy. I look forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/119532 KHTS, thank you for your patience.

Regarding this matter the best approach should be provided by our https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/resource-design-center.html Resource & Design Center for Development with Intel, visit this site for more information.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos