Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

Conflict between Intel Smart Sound and other audio drivers

imaref
Beginner

I have an HP Envy laptop with 7th Generation i7 chip, HD 620 Graphics, Conexant ISST audio (latest drivers) with Bang & Olufsen sound (latest drivers).

I continue to have trouble with a "pop" sound every time I start playing a video (youtube, etc.), anytime that I change the volume, and also during most Windows alerts. It's driving me up a wall. It also happens any time that I skip to a different point in a video (youtube, etc.).

I believe there is a major conflict between audio drivers and the Intel Smart Sound Technology, and this conflict causes audio issues with audio drivers.

The only way I can get rid of the pop sound (and restore my sanity):

I go to Device Manger, expand System Devices, and look for "Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) OED".

I RIGHT click on it and choose "Disable Device". As soon as I do that, NO MORE POPPING SOUNDS. However, the audio is not quite as rich (it's good sound, but not as good as when it is enabled--but the popping sound just drives me nuts).

Any advice???

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello imaref,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support. I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are seeing that there is a conflict between the drivers for Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST) and the audio drivers.

The audio driver comes as part of the driver for the Intel® HD Graphics 620 controller, but to get better support in your system, I would recommend you to use only the drivers provided by HP for this computer. If by any chance you are using the generic driver provided by Intel®, my best recommendation is to uninstall it and install the driver provided with by HP.

Another recommendation would be reinstalling the Intel® HD Graphics 620 driver and the Intel® SST driver. Please bear in mind the the driver for Intel® SST is only provided by the computer manufacturer, and for better support with this driver and your system I would recommend to contact HP Support.

Regards,

Xavier A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello imaref,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support. I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are seeing that there is a conflict between the drivers for Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST) and the audio drivers.

The audio driver comes as part of the driver for the Intel® HD Graphics 620 controller, but to get better support in your system, I would recommend you to use only the drivers provided by HP for this computer. If by any chance you are using the generic driver provided by Intel®, my best recommendation is to uninstall it and install the driver provided with by HP.

Another recommendation would be reinstalling the Intel® HD Graphics 620 driver and the Intel® SST driver. Please bear in mind the the driver for Intel® SST is only provided by the computer manufacturer, and for better support with this driver and your system I would recommend to contact HP Support.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
imaref
Beginner

Thanks Xavier! Tell your boss to give you a raise. Your solution worked great. In the past I have always used the generic drivers from Intel (since they are updated much more frequently than the HP drivers)---turn out that's not a good idea with this computer.

In case others come here looking for the same info, I'm going to write below step by step what I did.

1. I downloaded both the Intel HD 620 driver from HP (the newest one available) and the latest audio driver from HP (in my case, this is Conexant)

2. Go the Device Manger, RIGHT click on HD 620 under display drivers and choose "uninstall", then in the box that pops up put a check in the box for "delete all drivers for this device". If you get a message that you're about to install drivers older than the current drivers, choose YES/install/OK. Whenit's finished and it asks to reboot, choose LATER.

3. Still in Device Manager, under System Devices, RIGHT click on Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R( SST) Audio Controller and choose "uninstall", then in the box that pops up put a check in the box for "delete all drivers for this device".

4. When it's finished, reboot the computer.

5. Install the HD 620 driver that was downloaded from HP--reboot when asked.

6. Install the Conexant audio driver from HP--reboot when asked.

Thanks again Xavier. Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello imaref,

You are welcome. I am very glad to see that my recommendations gave you the solution to this issue.

Thank you for posting the steps that followed to fix the issue. I am sure it will be helpful to anyone with the same issue with Intel® SST.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos