Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

uninstalling and reinstalling video driver

BSchm4
Beginner

I could use a link to instructions on how to uninstall and reinstall an intel video driver on a Win7 laptop.

The reason is to see if reinstall will stop my video from constantly changing from single monitor to dual monitor (uncommanded).

Thanks

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Bill_S,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I would like to gather basic system information to walk you through this process. Please scan your system using the DxDiag tool. Follow the steps below:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, how are you connecting the monitor to your laptop?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
BSchm4
Beginner

Thanks Wanner,

First, I should have mentioned in the original post, that there was no monitor attached to the laptop. Never has been. The reason that I say that the display changes back and forth from 1 to dual monitor is that I can watch the display settings change each time the screen blanks.

I have contacted an Intel expert in this forum in the past and was unable to find a reason for this anomaly. The only suggestion was to try to install the latest driver for my computer which is what was already installed. That is why I asked about the uninstall/reinstall procedure.

The diagnostic results from dxdiag is attached.

Bill

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This will get you part of the way there: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005474/graphics-drivers.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows 7*

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bill_S,

Did you follow the steps provided by Al Hill?

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
BSchm4
Beginner

I am unsure of which version of the driver for Win7 to download.

The information from the Generic PnP Monitor and Intel Graphics Properties adapter tab is just "Intel(R) HD Graphics (core I5)". I'm not able to match that up with the list of drivers on the Intel site.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This is your SEVEN year old i5-480m processor: https://ark.intel.com/products/52952/Intel-Core-i5-480M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_66-GHz Intel® Core™ i5-480M Processor (3M Cache, 2.66 GHz) Product Specifications

It has Intel HD Graphics.

This is the latest (FIVE year old) driver for WIndows 7 64-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22521/?product=52952 Download Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver, Windows 7* 64, Windows Vista* 64 (exe)

Doc

0 Kudos
BSchm4
Beginner

Thanks for the help with finding the download, Al. I found the driver install file for my processor and ran it. I did not use a manual install.

The driver seemed to install, but the problem with the video persists.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bill_S,

Thank you for your response.

In order to assist you better, could you please attach pictures or a video of the issue?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
BSchm4
Beginner

I think I can.

The two attached screenshots show how the video monitor setting changes from 1 to dual. I got these by opening the resolution settings and watched as these settings cycled back and forth on their own. This happens at random times (as far as I can tell). I hope I have explained this clearly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bill_S,

Thank you for the information provided.

This issue seems to be hardware related, which means that you may need to contact your computer manufacturer. However, I will do further research to know if there is a feasible solution I can suggest.

I will keep you updated.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
BSchm4
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bill_S,

You can create virtual monitors in Windows 7. This may be the issue you are expericing with the display settings.

First, please provide a graphics report when the issue happens and attach it.

Link

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

Does the Intel® HD Control Panel detect two monitors?

After that, follow these steps to see if you can disable any virtual monitor:

-Right-click the desktop and select screen resolution

-Click on the second display

-Under Multiple Displays drop down menu, select "Remove this display".

-Click OK or Apply.

-You should now see only one Display at the top near "detect" and Identify" buttons.

These steps are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
BSchm4
Beginner

Thanks for the link and information, Wanner.

I will send that data along when I get some time to work on this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bill_S,

That sounds great.

Please keep me updated once you are able to try the steps recommended.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bill_S,

I was wondering if you were able to follow the steps to troubleshoot your system.

Please let me know if you have any update.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos