Items with no label
3335 Discussions

The problem of arms scanning with RS300

dlin28
Beginner

Hi guys,I am doing a project which need the precise arm model.So I'm trying to do this with the rs300 camera and programms that I am using are "easy 3d scan" and "3d systems sense".But both of them didn't go well:easy 3d scan only support the turntable scan and 3d systems sense couldn't finish even one time 360°Full scan....Do you guys know what wrong is that o have you used some other software for arm scanning?Thanks~

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The SR300 is not the ideal camera for scanning the human body, as it works best with scanning small objects such as those on turntables. The R200 model excels at full body scanning and large objects because it can depth-scan up to 4 m, whereas the SR300 is limited to a range of 1.5 m by default.

The R200 is still available from Intel's online Click store in the 'Robotic Development Kit' bundle.

https://click.intel.com/intelr-realsensetm-robotic-development-kit-2541.html Intel® RealSense™ Robotic Development Kit - Intel® RealSense™ Depth Cameras

If you wish to continue using the SR300, the discussion linked to below may give you some insights about 360 degree scanning with Easy 3D Scan and other SR300-compatible software packages.

You can also extend the SR300's depth range up to 4 m, at the cost of accuracy.

https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v1.1/documentation/html/index.html?setivcamfilteroption_device_pxccapture.html Intel® RealSense™ SDK 2016 R2 Documentation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
51 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The SR300 is not the ideal camera for scanning the human body, as it works best with scanning small objects such as those on turntables. The R200 model excels at full body scanning and large objects because it can depth-scan up to 4 m, whereas the SR300 is limited to a range of 1.5 m by default.

The R200 is still available from Intel's online Click store in the 'Robotic Development Kit' bundle.

https://click.intel.com/intelr-realsensetm-robotic-development-kit-2541.html Intel® RealSense™ Robotic Development Kit - Intel® RealSense™ Depth Cameras

If you wish to continue using the SR300, the discussion linked to below may give you some insights about 360 degree scanning with Easy 3D Scan and other SR300-compatible software packages.

You can also extend the SR300's depth range up to 4 m, at the cost of accuracy.

https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v1.1/documentation/html/index.html?setivcamfilteroption_device_pxccapture.html Intel® RealSense™ SDK 2016 R2 Documentation

0 Kudos
dlin28
Beginner

Oh thanks Marty!It really helps me a lot,so you mean the RS300 is not the right one to do the arm scan right?Because that's the only purpose for my project.r200 will be much better for arm scan?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The new D435 camera with wide field of view can do scans of moving objects. 3D model scanning is not yet well supported with it yet though, so modeling is a somewhat tricky process of taking a Point Cloud type scan made of dots and then using another software package such as MeshLab to turn the dots into a solid 3D model.

The R200 is therefore currently the best model for easy human full-body scanning that is well supported by a range of commercial 3D modeling software packages.

0 Kudos
dlin28
Beginner

And another thing I'm wondering is that what's the different between little object and the arm?Can't we do the arm scan just like we are scanning a little thing?Thanks

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

It comes down to maximum scan distance and the field of view of the camera. With the SR300, you have to have the camera within 1.5 m of the arm, which means that the entire arm may not fit into the dimensions of the camera's viewpoint width at that distance. If you stepped backwards then the whole arm may fit into the SR300's view but then you may be too far away to get a good quality scan.

A RealSense robotics developer widened the field of view to 150 degrees by arranging three R200s so that their fields of view slightly overlapped.

0 Kudos
dlin28
Beginner

ok,I see.It's a problem,anyway,thanks a lot for your help Marty~~

0 Kudos
AMaso
Beginner

Hy MartyG I'm working on this together with limdinhao , we do not have to scan a complete arm but just and hand, so it should be more or less like a little object, I understand that R200 is more suitable but we already bought rs300.. so we would like to do some tests in order to try to use it. We tried to use "easy scan" but it work just with turning table, we wante to use so the intell software but is seams that the version available is for the new scanner.. do u think it is possible to try with a previous software version? which software do you suggest to do this test on a hand?

0 Kudos
AMaso
Beginner

so in a way we have it here, so we wanted to try to do some tests, if we can find a software compatible with the scanner.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The situation with the Sense scanner that has an SR300 in is a bit complex, as you have the original Sense scanner, and iSense, which can be connected to an iPad. The iSense used to be called the Structure Sensor, before an company called Occipital took it over from 3D Systems and re-branded it.

So I guess I should confirm whether you have the handheld Sense or the iPAd-attached iSense.

0 Kudos
AMaso
Beginner

sorry, MartyG I don't get your point, we have the intel, and we are using it with a window computer.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Limdinhao said you had used ""3d systems sense", which suggested that you owned the 3D Systems Sense scanner (a hand-held 3D scanner product that has an SR300 camera inside). So what you have is a Windows PC and an Intel RealSense SR300 camera that plugs into the PC's USB port?

0 Kudos
AMaso
Beginner
0 Kudos
AMaso
Beginner

but we can't find the software to scan without the turning table

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If you are using the '2016 R2' or '2016 R3' RealSense SDKs for Windows, they come with an example scanning program called 3DScan that is basic but easy to use and can export scanned models as .obj format files.

When the R2 or R3 SDK is installed, it places a folder on the PC desktop called Intel RealSense SDK Gold. In this folder is an application called 'Sample Browser'. In this sample-browsing.application, you can find the '3DScan' program. An easy way to locate it is to type 3dscan into the Sample Browser's search box.

0 Kudos
AMaso
Beginner

Ok thank you MartyGis going to try today or tomorrow and let u know (I can't because I've a mac !)

0 Kudos
dlin28
Beginner

Hi Marty,tonight i have followed your guide and tried to use the "3DScan",when I choose "object",it tells me "face not detective".Also when I choose "face" or "head"options it tells "configuration not support"...So I am wondering is there something wrong?Thanks

'

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You do not need to tick every box. I believe the only one you should always have ticked is Landmarks. You can tick further selections in addition to Landmarks. But I have found in the past that having Markers ticked can cause problems.

0 Kudos
dlin28
Beginner

WOW,you have reason,now I have successfully scanned my face data,but for the arm?which option i need to select?I have tried "object"but it didn't react.....Thanks!!!!

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I believe the Full option gives the widest scanning area.

0 Kudos
dlin28
Beginner

Hi,marty.Thank you for last time helping me,today I've tried your method the "full" options,but it still dose work,it tells "face not detected"....So....it's impossible to do the arm scanning?

0 Kudos