cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sporadic crashes of 540s SSD followed by "not found boot device"

WGert
New Contributor

Sporadic crashes of 540s SSD followed by "not found boot device"

On different Industrial PC's (IPC) based on an ATOME384 board we have sometimes a crash (blue screen) on Win10 and then the system tries to reboot, but the SSD is not found.

Only by removing the power cable or pressing the reset button of the system, it will restart Windows without any problem.

We try to use tools like the Intel SSD toolbox or the CrystalDiskInfo to get more information about the SSD crash, but we didn't found any reason what's happened.

(e.g. max. temperature value inside the smart data were below 45°C)

Are there any other tools to get more information about what had happened? Maybe some "special" Intel tools?

Actually, I have no idea what's to check to find the reason of this crash. Can I be Win10 itself or is it the setting of the BIOS ?

The basic facts:

The system we are running is a "Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB". The SSD is a 540s 120BG using the actual firmware 036C

ETX Board (Computer on a module) E3845 processor

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello wolleIntel,

We understand that you're having issues with your Intel® SSD 540s Series crashing and requiring a hard power-off before being able to boot again.It's possible that your current BIOS does not support the power management features used in this drive such as SATA Link Power Management (LPM), Device Sleep (DevSleep), or Advanced Power Management (APM).If your motherboard does not support these features, it's likely that when your SSD gets placed into a low power state when idding, your computer won't know how to wake it back up. This is most commonly resolved by a BIOS update.If a BIOS update does not resolve your issue, please attach your SMART details and the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility System Support Utility report by switching to the advanced editor while replying.Best regards,Carlos A.

WGert
New Contributor

Hi Carlos,

thanks for your answer.

I will try to collect the information. Problem is actually that I have no access to one of the Intel SSD's.

The IPC's at my office were running on a Toshiba SSD. Maybe next week I get one.

The distributer of the IPC's said that until now, he didn't hear about such problems with the Intel SSD !?!?

But until now, these hardware was only running with Win7 ! Can it be such a difference between Win7 and Win10 ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello wolleIntel,

That's correct, this is not a common problem.

Although updating your BIOS is the most important step, you may also test the following:

1. Disable "fast startup"
    1. Search for and open "Power options" in the Start Menu.
    2. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" on the left side of the window.
    3. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable."
    4. Under "Shutdown settings" make sure "Turn on fast startup" is disabled.
  2. Keep your drives from going to sleep.
    1. Go back to Power Options.
    2. Click on "Change plan settings" next to your current power plan.
    3. Click on "Change advanced power settings."
    4. Hard disk > Turn off hard disk after > Set "On battery" and "Plugged in" to zero. Oddly enough, this is the equivalent of "never."

We look forward to hearing back from you once you're able to access the systems.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

5/23/2017 EDIT: fixed formatting issues.

WGert
New Contributor

Hi Carlos,

attached there is the LOG file of the SSU.exe which a run on a IPC and a LOG file of crystaldiskreport of a crashed Intel SSD.

I will try to get a SSU.exe output of a crashed IPC.